Dude, I'm Getting A Dell!

erik88l-r

I just found out that the Dell desktop I ordered won't have any serial ports. :wacko:

My Garmin 12, Etrex, and PDA all connect via serial ports on my old deceased PC.

A bit of googling turned up this adapter and some discussions indicating that some adapters won't work dependably.

Can anyone vouch for the one from Pfranc or have experience with others?

Thanks,

~erik~

That's the very one I use for GPSBabel development and have successfully used it on Linux, OS/X., W98, and XP. Mine came from Pfranc.

This is actually basedon the MCT chipsets which you can find elsewhere, but since Larry has habit of working well with GPS users and geocachers, it's hard to resist giving him money.

I just found out that the Dell desktop I ordered won't have any serial ports. :wacko:

My Garmin 12, Etrex, and PDA all connect via serial ports on my old deceased PC.

A bit of googling turned up this adapter and some discussions indicating that some adapters won't work dependably.

Go buy a USB/Serial adapter at Best Buy or Fry's, or if you are not in a hurry, from eBay. It should come with a driver CD, or you may have to get one from the cable manufacturers website.

Any across the counter "generic" USB/SERIAL converter should work.. Just load drivers FIRST. Sometime its not to clear what COM port number "system" assigns to converter, but it should be easy to find in hardware section (ports) in Control Panel "System" display...

I personally use a $14.95 PROLIFIC converter with my Magellan GPS and some other old SERIAL stuff I have around here and I have never had a problem.....

Dale

Edited by Dale_Lynn

Go buy a USB/Serial adapter at Best Buy or Fry's, or if you are not in a hurry, from eBay. It should come with a driver CD, or you may have to get one from the cable manufacturers website.

I went with the cheap Fry's option and both adapters work fine for my PDA and GPSr!