Gpxsonar And Gps

tonydenson

I have read in the GPXSonar documentation that it can download waypoints to a GPS. Blowed if I can find the facility in the software - can someone please enlighten me.

I think you might have misread this as far as I'm aware, and also I have checked the documentation, you can't send waypoints from GPXSonar to a GPS; it is possible to export notes for use in GSAK which is a a caching database application.

Moote

I think you might have misread this as far as I'm aware, and also I have checked the documentation, you can't send waypoints from GPXSonar to a GPS

Pasted from the GPXSonar user guide version 1.1. Note second feature, can't be much clearer than that -

'GPXSonar' is a program designed for geocachers who need to take GPX files obtained from Pocket Queries with them in the field. Its ultimate goal is to allow for 'zero-paper' geocaching.

The software allows the user to:

* View, search, filter and merge lists of geocaches.

* Export waypoints to GPS receivers and GPS applications.

* Log a cache in the field.

* Generate reports.

* Manage travel bugs in and out of caches.

* Track the trade of geoswag.

* Manage your own caches.

* Import waypoints from EasyGPS .loc files.

I think you might have misread this as far as I'm aware, and also I have checked the documentation, you can't send waypoints from GPXSonar to a GPS

Pasted from the GPXSonar user guide version 1.1. Note second feature, can't be much clearer than that -

'GPXSonar' is a program designed for geocachers who need to take GPX files obtained from Pocket Queries with them in the field. Its ultimate goal is to allow for 'zero-paper' geocaching.

The software allows the user to:

* View, search, filter and merge lists of geocaches.

* Export waypoints to GPS receivers and GPS applications.

* Log a cache in the field.

* Generate reports.

* Manage travel bugs in and out of caches.

* Track the trade of geoswag.

* Manage your own caches.

* Import waypoints from EasyGPS .loc files.

Tony

I have looked at GPXSonar and it appears that it produces an export file which then can be somehow moved to a GPS, not sure how and not sure why I would need that as whatever is on my PDA is already on my GPS.

I think that future versions of GPXSonar might have some better compatibility, but PDA's tend to not push files they tend to have them sync'ed via a PC pushing.

Saying that I will still see how this works for you, but I believe that GSAK is far better at setting up data sets.

Moote

I have looked at GPXSonar and it appears that it produces an export file which then can be somehow moved to a GPS, not sure how and not sure why I would need that as whatever is on my PDA is already on my GPS.

The reason I would want it is because the memory on my GPS is limited (500 waypoints) and I would like to load up my PDA with a number of datasets which I could then load at will onto the PDA (bearing in mind I may be away from home without my PC when I want to do it).

The reason I would want it is because the memory on my GPS is limited (500 waypoints) and I would like to load up my PDA with a number of datasets which I could then load at will onto the PDA (bearing in mind I may be away from home without my PC when I want to do it).

I played with this function last night, I can create an export from GPXSonar and that looks to be in a valid format, bur there is no functionality on the PPC to get these in to the GPS. This was attempted with a Garmin GPSMap60CS and iPaq 5550 PDA.

What GPS are you using? I think the Garmins now are all able to take up to 1000 waypoints, (At least the more recent ones) you can download and update your GPS firmware if it is available, it is worth visiting your GPS manufacturers website to see if similar is available for your GPS.

If it is capturing an area on route from A to B to C etc have you tried the GSAK Arc Poly Export to create a better selection?

Moote

Etrex Summit

OK from my testing yesterday, I personally can't see a way of sending data from GPXSonar to any Garmin product. I accept that it can create the file, but there is no mechanism to allow the PDA to send the file. It might be a good idea it ask the owner how this is done, pointing out that the manual says it does. You can contact him through this Website.

Moote

Shame Moote. Cachemate on the inferior Palm platform has allowed PDA management of waypoints and export to GPSr since late 2003.  :ph34r:

Good to see you now agree that it is inferior :-)

G7ToCE has had this since 2001 :ph34r:

This may be what the OP wants, but it is a bit difficult to use.

Thanks for that I stand corrected, and it works :ph34r:

Moote

Edited by Moote

Etrex Summit

It might be a good idea it ask the owner how this is done, pointing out that the manual says it does. You can contact him through this Website.

For the life of me I can't see a contact email address on that site.

Taking a different tack, I also have a TomTom Bluetooth GPSr. What is the recommended software for using this for geocaching, given that there is no display on the GPSr.

For the life of me I can't see a contact email address on that site.

Taking a different tack, I also have a TomTom Bluetooth GPSr. What is the recommended software for using this for geocaching, given that there is no display on the GPSr.

You can ask questions about GPXSonar on the discussion board

Your BT GPS you can use with a PDA and will work with Memory Map, Beeline GPS, GPSTuner and many other products. the BT GPS will also work on PC's and laptops which have bluetooth