60csx And 1gb?

jcc123

Are the new 60 series models limited to 512 MB in capacity? I'm thinking about getting a 1 GB miniSD to use with it. I thought that I read somewhere on the product display page on Garmin's web site that said something about that but now checking back I don't see it?

So will it or won't it work with 1 GB?

Is that something that's controlled by the firmware? If so I guess at some point they will make it compatible if it's not already?

I think I heard a maximum of 1050 map chunks that can be loaded on the card?

City navigator plus some topo segments would come close, but it is too easy to exceed the maximum map chunks with the TOPO maps from Garmin. The City navigator map chunks are much larger, so you can get a good sized chunk of North America on the 512mb microSD card.

I was in the middle of filling out the billing info at GPSNOW for the map60Cx, but just chickened out 5 minutes ago.

-

Geoff

Edited by GOT GPS?

Did I imagine it or did Garmin announce that the card reading X models will sell preloaded topo and CN/Metroguide maps?

As a mac user, it would be so much better just to buy the card and bypass the computer altogether.

If you look on the Garmin site, they have cards for sale, but I'm assuming their blank.

You know what, I'm going to get to the bottom of this myself *picks up phone*

Did I imagine it or did Garmin announce that the card reading X models will sell preloaded topo and CN/Metroguide maps?

As a mac user, it would be so much better just to buy the card and bypass the computer altogether.

If you look on the Garmin site, they have cards for sale, but I'm assuming their blank.

This would work only if you live in the middle of a preloaded card, but if you lived on the edge, you would have to do it the regular way, and fill up a blank card.

-

Geoff

Yes, the statement is still in their press release:

"Owners of the new x-series of handhelds also can purchase new microSD cards that are pre-loaded with MapSource® Topo and inland lake maps, BlueChart® marine cartography, and City Navigator™ street maps"

but I haven't seen any indication about coverage, pricing, or availability.

OTOH, with the larger card sizes there shouldn't be much need to reload maps so I'd think it would be best to just get a 512 Mb card, get access to a PC somewhere, and fill it up with all the maps you think you'll need for a long time.

Garmin has also indicated that there'll be a Mac version of MapSource sometime this year so that would take care of the issue in the long run.

OTOH, with the larger card sizes there shouldn't be much need to reload maps so I'd think it would be best to just get a 512 Mb card, get access to a PC somewhere, and fill it up with all the maps you think you'll need for a long time.

Garmin has also indicated that there'll be a Mac version of MapSource sometime this year so that would take care of the issue in the long run.

Confirmed. They'll start with the preloaded topo cards in a couple of weeks. They're broken up by region (I think about 10 N. America regions in all). Selling for $86 each.

*sigh* That's not a bargain. So yes, it looks like I will be getting a modest size card and loading maps within my vicinity. And with coverage over the entire US, its the better value

When the mac version gets out, I better not have to buy CN again.

As a CS user I've been watching the x threads closely - I ultimately think I'll get one after a few software updates and maybe a price drop or two - I doubt that will be soon but it'll happen. Anyway, the prices they are selling those pre-loaded cards for is really disappointing. I can't see buying one for any other reason than if I owned a mac. Seems really inflated to me anyway. I guess if you rarely traveled you might actually save a few bucks but once you have to buy two regions you might as well just get the software and a big blank card.