Found My First Cache!

atascadero

It took a bit of looking but I found it! What fun. Learned some basic skills as I missed the cache several times while being right next to it! Made me laugh after finding it. It was a great cache for the newbie.

My only question after this find is if I should start looking for a 12 step program right now or later as this has all the hallmarks of an addiction in process! ;-) ROFL.

The only negative is that I REALLY started to examine a small area only to find it strewn with garbage! This made me feel a bit ill when I considered what a small rural area I was looking at! That aside, all cachers, new and old should adopt a CITO attitude. No, we didn't leave it there but lets make this sport a win, win situation.

Some will see us as threats to the environment by placing these caches (Probably old news). We can counter this with good caching tatics and showing we do care about the environment by cleaning up other peoples trash.

Sorry for getting up on the soap box while being such a newbie. I'm going to return to my first find and I know I'll leave with at least a 30 gal bag worth of garbage! Since the cache is a micro cache. I think the cache will have actually improved the site! We need to let all know that this sport is actually good for all. Hop... I'm off the soap box now. Peace all and good caching!

I completely agree with the CITO bit. I don't usually write about it in my logs, but I try when I can. Keep <your location> beautiful!

As far as addiction - if you like finding new places, and being outdoors, too late. Also, if you have obsessive/compulsive disorder, you are doomed.

By the way, your avatar reminds me of another user in the forums by the name of Gorak. What IS that caveman?

Grouch and I always carry LOTS of trash bags in our packs. Although, I'm more of a do-gooder than he is so mostly it's me picking up the trash. He also has a much lower tolerance for yucky stuff than I do, LOL! This past weekend I CITO'd some *used* dog baggies at the local park. :) :) :D:)

( Now, I ask you, WHY would someone go to the effort of properly cleaning up after their dog and then throw the filled baggie on the side of the trail?! Yeesh! )

We're going out tomorrow for the first time. I've been so excited since I found out this even exists. I've read and charted every cache in a 10 mile radius of our house. I'm borrowing a GPS, got trash bags ready to go, pen to log, items to leave, camera to take to pics. Wow!! I cant sleep I'm so excited.

I'm new myself found my first one today with my kids. I did'nt know about cahching or I would have started 2 years ago when I bought it for hunting.

My new brother-in-law does it, he is into everything oudoors. he brought my 7 yr old last sunday with my wifes sister and one of his buddies who as kids the same age as mine and she came home all exited about it.

She as her own log book she is keeping or every cache she finds, 5 now. I myself am hooked not only do I get to do this with my kids, and share the outdoors beyond the sports fields. I also realy get to figure out my GPS, and maybe find some new hunting, fishing and caping spots? :lol: