Difficult Caches

dmuirwatson

hey , hows it going, i have a couple of questions for y'all, first there is a bridge that i would like to hide a cache on, it is closed to everything but foot traffic, but years ago was a US highway bridge. a bridge has been constructed to handle vehicular traffic and this old one is open to foot traffic only. i wanted to ask if this could potentially be a possible hiding spot from the info that i have given. second i work in michigan as a kayak guide and would like to hide some caches on various islands on lake superior and i rock climb and would like to hide some in rock cracks etc. i don't go to these places on a very regular basis ( sometimes only a couple of times a year), but because of the extreme difficulty of accessing these caches i reason that the visitation levels would be low, would this type of cache be permissable, since the ratio of my maintenance visits ( few as they might be), would be high in relation to the visitation. mostly i want to know how difficult can the level 5 access be, could i put one underwater where it requires scuba gear. i would also like to put an easy one on a main road by my house that anyone could get to, but that obviously is more the norm and shouldn't be a problem. i appreciate your reply. dmuirwatson

You are going in a hundred directions with that post.

A foot bridge is a valid location for a cache. Even if it was an old highway bridge at one time. The Highway bridge itself would be an issue.

Second hiding an extreme cache doesn't have a maintance requirment like an urban cache. Being able to get to it twice a year for a cache that will have about that many finds every other year isn't unreasonble. I don't see a problem however your reviewer is the key person to ask on what they feel you could maintain.

Something to remember;

When you hide a cache on something that used to be a vehicle bridge, some maps might still show it as such. When you type up your cache page, be sure and add a note to the reviewer explaining that the location is no longer accessible by vehicles. Otherwise, the reviewer might think it's a guidelines violation.

As long as you rate your cache properly and they conform to the guidelines you're probably good to go. It might be a good idea to spell out any particular dangers and difficulties on the page though.

There is one cache by me that requires you walk out on a 3 inch wide beam, suspended 40 feet above a shallow, rocky river. Its very popular among the gutsy locals. I know of a few caches placed by rock climbers for other rock climbers and Island caches are among my favorite. There are also a number of SCUBA caches out there so you wouldn't be the first.

Edited by briansnat

There is a place in my area I am considering for a cache, now on state land. Abandoned in 1919, it used to be a WWI training ground. All that remains is a few remenants of foundations and an old rusty, concrete mounted (75mm?) cannon. I'm eyeing the cannon. Would it be acceptable to make a PCV tube cache, paint it black for stealth, and put a loop on one end so it could be extracted only with a coat hangar/broomstick tool? Be gentle with me, under consideration would be only my second cache placement......

There is a place in my area I am considering for a cache, now on state land. Abandoned in 1919, it used to be a WWI training ground. All that remains is a few remenants of foundations and an old rusty, concrete mounted (75mm?) cannon. I'm eyeing the cannon. Would it be acceptable to make a PCV tube cache, paint it black for stealth, and put a loop on one end so it could be extracted only with a coat hangar/broomstick tool? Be gentle with me, under consideration would be only my second cache placement......

That sounds pretty cool to me! If I had any doubts about the canon still be functional, though, I might not want to poke around in there. But a canon left from 1919 sounds good to me!