Fyi For 60c(s)x Owners

moonpup

I found out from Garmin today that the new 60C(S)x units when WAAS is enabled will never show a lock (solid bar) on the WAAS bird when looking at the satellite screen page. The other satellites will show a lock.

It will show the signal strength of the WAAS bird, and receive the differential data which will appear as 'D' on the other satellites.

They told me this is due to the SIRF chipset.

Just wanted to let you know in case you thought something was wrong with your unit.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Edited by moonpup
I found out from Garmin today that the new 60C(S)x units when WAAS is enabled will never show a lock (solid bar) when looking at the satellite screen page.

It will show the signal strength of the WAAS bird, and receive the differential data which will appear as 'D' on the other satellites.

They told me this is due to the SIRF chipset.

Just wanted to let you know in case you thought something was wrong with your unit.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Very interesting Moonpup! Looks like you're the first to actually have an X in hand and experience this, or anything else regarding it. I await delivery of mine next week. Thanks for the reports!

That's an odd design decision by Garmin. I know that recently a new WAAS satellite (shows up as 36 on my 60c) has been in the process of being tested, and because it is not sending corretional data it will not lock - it only shows a hollow bar. I wonder if that Garmin tech got confused with this issue?

It really doesn't seem logical to only show a hollow bar for a satellite with a lock.

I've experienced similar conditions with my 60c on satellites 35 and 47: the satellite page displays "D" on satellites before a solid lock is displayed for 35 and/or 47.

Here in Europe we use Egnos instead of WAAS.

At the moment Egnos is still in test phase

Some time Egnos satellite 33 is filled and some time it is not.

When Waas or Egnos is filled up, you also get correction data from it, so that you don’t "loose" one satellite when you have waas turned on.

Here is more information about Egnos

http://ravel.esrin.esa.it/docs/egnos/estb/schedule.htm

http://esamultimedia.esa.int/docs/egnos/estb/egnos_pro.htm

I've seen D's on my (old) 60c before the 35 or 47 signal became solid, so I'm not sure this is conclusive. I've wondered how it can receive differential data without a lock. The first time a new GPS is turned on, I believe it can take 20 minutes or more to download the WAAS almanac.

The last 12 month of testing Egnos in Europe i did observe the following.

1. You can se the waas/egnos bird at GPS with no lock and no "d"

They are sending do not use differential signal.

2. You can se the waas/egnos bird at GPS with no lock. And you see "d"

They are sending differential signal and you can use it

3. You can se the waas/egnos bird at GPS with lock. And you see "d"

They are sending differential signal and position signal

In these 12 months I have seen mostly situation 1 and 2. Only the last two month I have seen mode 2 and 3. At the current date, it is in mode 2 in Europe.

More information here:

http://ravel.esrin.esa.it/docs/egnos/estb/schedule.htm

I can confirm this on my Nuvi 350 which also uses the SiRF III chipset...you will never see a solid WAAS lock bar when viewing the satellite page.

Hope you guys are enjoying your new x series GPSs with their awesome map storage capabilities. My Nuvi 350 has the full City Navigator US (NT) pre-loaded. And even with all that map data already on the unit, there is still ~750 MB of free memory (with even more if you delete the pre-loaded speech data in different languages) for map storage on top of having an SD card slot for more map data. With all this map storage capacity, I'm really having trouble just filling up the built-in memory, let alone using the SD card for additional. I guess this is where the built-in MP3 player comes into play. :drama: I'm really glad Garmin is finally giving us the memory we've been asking for & needing all this time.