Digital Compass Watches

boogie bear

I just purchased a Casio Pathfinder Triple Sensor compass watch and would like to know if anyone else out there has one and what they think of it...I'd like some imput on battery consumption, accuracy,and any thing else you feel is important...my first impression is that it's a cool gadget but I'll never be without my Silva Ranger...happy hunting <_<

I received a Casio model SPF 401V for Christmas this year.

After playing around with it for a less than a month I have concluded the following.

It is extremely accurate if held completely horizontal (level).

Re-calibration should be preformed frequently, especially when changing environments.

It is a challenge to get the light to illuminate while pressing the comp. button.

When "Shooting a Bearing" you DO have to spin your body as it is attached to your wrist.

I can not attest to the battery life, as I typically am asleep when it's dark outside (Old Age).

The manual indicates illumination is what eats the battery up.

The barometer seems to be accurate compared to N.O.A.A in my area.

The thermometer while attached to my body, is consistently higher than the ambient temp. Although I have not done any recalibration to the thermometer.

Cool watch - I have had one for about 2 years now - mine has the solar cell for recharging so no problem with battery life as long as there is senough light around - I think about 10 mins of sunlight is all it needs for about 24 hours of use and mine has been in the dark for as much as 2 months and was still working.

The compass is quite accurate but does require holding your wrist as level as possible.

I Love mine!

I used to have the Timex Expedition but quickly tired of the short timeout.

I went forward with the purchase of a Suunto Vector and never looked back. The user replaceable battery lasts about 18 months. With the built in sensors, not only do I have a floating compass but I also have the barometer, barometer derived altitude, and the thermometer. Great for taking quick compass readings and monitoring the weather conditions. And the digits are big enough for me to read the time without my contacts... important to me in the middle of the night in the total darkness of a tent.