Wheelchair Accessible

Muggle Finder

My apologies if this has been asked and answered before (the forum search feature is stiil not functioning).

I am placing a cache that meets the criteria for a "1" terrain rating in that wheeled vehicles can get to the cache site easily. The cache is under a bench, so once there the person needs to be able to bend and reach. It is near enough to grab from a seated position (I think), but you'd have to have fairly good mobility from that position. My question is whether I should put a wheelchair icon on the cache if I'm not fairly certain that most wheelchair users would be able to both get to the cache site, and to retrieve the cache.

Replies from wheelchair users especially welcome!

I'm not a wheelchair user, but I play one at work.

The 1 rating is a judgment. If you think a wheelchair can get to that spot it's a 1 and the use of the icon/attribute would be appropriate.

I can point you to a PDF File from the department of Justice that will answer some of your questions. One thing to keep in mind is that ADA Guidelines fall short on paths and outdoor activites. No matter how much you read and reasearch geocaching will always have a component that falls outside of ADA.

Check out Handicaching.com. Using better information on the route itself so people can make up their own mind about what they can and can't do is the best you can do short of an honest assessment that a wheelchair can get to the cache and once there they can reach it.

People themselves have all sorts of different levels of ability. An Ironman Triatholon Cache is beyond me. I don't rock climb or scuba. Others do. Some people with a heart condition can do a lot, but not for very long. Other can do a little all day...The entire human contition doesn't fit well into ratings.

I would say in this particular case that you could use the wheelchair icon, but maybe state in your cache description that the path is accessible but the cache itself might be hard to reach.

People's abilities are so different...what might be a fairly easy run across a lawn for a person using a motorized w/c might be a bit harder for a pusher. My husband is a quadripalegic, he can't bend over (although he's pretty good at falling over! LOL), he can't actually grab a cache, but a parapalegic would probably be able to handle that with little trouble.

I, for one, appreciate the efforts of anyone who takes the time to specify whether their caches are accessible or not. My husband and I are just starting out but we're having so much fun. And I want to thank one hider in particular in my area, Twinstars, who very often mentions whether his cache is accessible. And thanks to you, also!

Dawn

Very nice of you to consider our less ambulatory cachers.

I was in a wheelchair (and now on crutches) last fall due to a broken leg from a geocaching accident so I'll put in my two cents worth I guess. If you can easily roll up to the bench - meaning, no curbs or other obstacles to negotiate from the car to the cache - and if one can park a wheelchair alongside the bench then bend and reach from a sitting position then it's probably wheelchair accessible. I would say this applies to "crutch accessible" as well.

I also had a "reacher" with pincers and a magnet on the end that was helpful in reaching items out of range although I doubt many would carry this around with them outside of the house.

It would be nice if you could do a few of these in the surrounding areas so handicachers can rack up some smilies. It's a real hassle taking a wheelchair in and out of a car so being able to do a bunch in one area would be fun.

The problem with "wheelchair accessable" ratings is that all disabilities are different. I've dealt with various folks in wheelchairs. Some could pick things up off of the ground, some couldn't. Some were extremely disabled but had massive hand strength from pushing and could grab a bar for a transfer. Others had almost no hand strength. Some could reach out or up and others had almost no arm extension. The differences go on and on.

Getting to a cache site in a wheelchair is one thing. Being able to retrieve the cache is another. Hopefully most folks in a chair who go caching will have a retrieval helper along.

Thanks all, for your comments. I put a wheelchair icon on the cache that I feel fairly sure is accessible to anyone who has reasonable upper body mobility. I am fairly sure my other "1" terrain rating cache is accessible, too, but I need to check out the width of the path at a critical point. I also want to double check for curb cuts. I'll be ashamed for my city if there is a problem with either the width or the curb cuts, but you never know. If all is o.k. I'll add the icon to the second cache.

I rated both caches on the Handicaching.com site, with enough comments that people ought to be able to judge for themselves. I guess I'll have to wait for feedback from visitors to know whether or not the caches are truly accessible, though.

I realize that some wheelchair bound people are alot more mobile than others, but place yourself in their position and figure out if the normal wheelchair person could find it.

This just made me giggle. If only you knew my husband...normal would not even be in that sentence. :lol:

And Muggle Finder...if we ever get out to California for a vacation like we want to, we'll be sure to look up your accessible caches! Thanks!

Dawn and Steve