Children And Caching

Well... I don't have kids, but I'm sure those who have cached with me will agree that I'm not the quickest cacher in the land...

People cache for different reasons... I cache to get out, have some exercise, enjoy the countryside...

However... I DO have "it's all about the numbers" days and I would prefer not to take kids then, but all the other times, more the merrier - at the end of the day, caching is a great family hobby!

Sometimes the kids come in handy for taking photos for the cache log. As they see the world differently to us they can take some pretty bizarre photos.

My six year old took this one while I was bushwacking my way to a cache. He couldnt see me and asked me where I was. I stuck my arm up to show him [holding my first GPS in that pic] :) To show you how tall that bracken was, I am 6'2" and standing on flat ground.

ad083423-9faa-46fd-9c21-f6817f69bb8f.jpg

We have just recently found the joy of caching. My 9 yr old son found his first cache on Saturday and was over the moon with it. Today in school they had a circle time, that is where the pupils stand up and tell the class about anything that they are interested in. They do this on a regular basis but not all children have things to say. Today my son decided that he had something to tell everyone. He stood up and told them all about geocaching!! Even his teacher asked him about it as she had never heard of it.

If people dont want to cache with us because I have a child in tow, then to be perfectly honest they can go and take a hike!

He loves all the mud and scrambling thro logs and trees and it gets him away from the games machine. I am very happy that he has shown an interest in Geocaching, and I know that when he gets older he will respect a cache if he finds one by accident, and will not muggle it.

Lolly

Oh, I love geocaching with little ones! They notice the most mundane things and turn them into something else! For example, on the way to Vale View View (from the canal) JJB saw a small copper pipe in the middle of the footpath...the adults stepped over it , but he wanted to know how it had got there, why it was there, who put it there.....and, you know, I still don't know the answer to any of those questions...but I'm still wondering!!! :)

Or the time we spent ages hunting for Simple Paul's Canalmania 5 (still haven't found it, although I know it is there :grin: )...the little person found two long stick and he and his soft toy cat had the time of their lives (?his life) saving us and the world from the goblins!

Then - the absolute joy when we found an as yet unopened McNinja Turtle in Top and Bottom (Bucks) ....he was sooooo thrilled. I can't imagine any adult being a fifth as excited, even on finding a rare Geocoin!

Nah..... bring on the little people! :lol::lol:;)

I don't quite see why this is a RANT?

Sometimes I like to be on my own and get on with it, others I like to be with a crowd and others again I enjoy taking my granddaughter out and seeing her reaction to our findings. Like most other things in Geocaching (and elsewhere) - you takes your pick and you makes your choice! :grin:

Oh, I love geocaching with little ones! They notice the most mundane things and turn them into something else! For example, on the way to Vale View View (from the canal) JJB saw a small copper pipe in the middle of the footpath...the adults stepped over it , but he wanted to know how it had got there, why it was there, who put it there.....and, you know, I still don't know the answer to any of those questions...but I'm still wondering!!! :)

Or the time we spent ages hunting for Simple Paul's Canalmania 5 (still haven't found it, although I know it is there :grin: )...the little person found two long stick and he and his soft toy cat had the time of their lives (?his life) saving us and the world from the goblins!

Then - the absolute joy when we found an as yet unopened McNinja Turtle in Top and Bottom (Bucks) ....he was sooooo thrilled. I can't imagine any adult being a fifth as excited, even on finding a rare Geocoin!

Nah..... bring on the little people! :lol::lol:;)

Oh what a coincidence...I have a JJB too, but hes a big one, almost 18 now and in the army LOL, he hunts for other things LOL.

I think its wonderful that kids see things so different to us, and things we take for granted, they find amazing. But the best part of taking a child caching with you is that you can be a kid too and nobody gives you strange looks if you have one with you. If my little one goes in mud puddles I join him, but can you imagine doing that when you are on ur own and others are watching?? I will be very sad when my little one grows up and acts like an adult. Maybe its the Peter Pan in me, but I love all the kid stuff.....errr how many days til Christmas? lol

Lolly

I don't quite see why this is a RANT?

Ahh - I wasn't ranting...I was rejoicing! It's a totally new look at life from about 3 feet high and I'm glad to be experiencing it again! ;):lol::)

Lolly - can you tell that I'm a puddle jumper too! :lol: My JJB is 3 years old, but if he keeps growing the way he is he'll be taller than me very very soon! lol! :grin:

Edited.... typos!

Edited by mjbvbjjb

I don't think the OP told us how old the child is.

I wouldn't want to go anywhere with anyone's 3 year old, but I wouldn't mind at all having a not-too-whiny 7 year old along on a caching trip.

Very small kids have *very* limited attention spans, and up to about 4 years old (at least) they have not yet developed any sense that their needs have to be balanced with anyone else's. So on any trip out with them you are constantly at risk of them saying "right, had enough of this" and that's *IT*.

Your more petulant adults handle this differently, of course. They huff and puff, but say "no no, that's all right, you carry on" when they mean "ouch, my back's playing up, but I'm not going to say so out loud, I'll let the others work out that I'm feeling sorry for myself".

:lol: catched with the three year old from `caws` and he is ace at spotting caches, cached with the young ones of `us 4 and jess` again good at cache spotting and walked up Scarfell with a young `cachehopper` (or 2),enjoyed those times. So caching with young one`s is not a drawback often a bonus but also something we do on an irregular basis and perhaps those that the op is referring to do likewise.

Could the op post their forthcoming caching locations on the forum and ask other families if they would like to join them on the venture. Single caching parents would possibly find going in groups not only more sociable caching but safer giving the extra numbers on board. :grin::lol:

Could the op post their forthcoming caching locations on the forum and ask other families if they would like to join them on the venture. Single caching parents would possibly find going in groups not only more sociable caching but safer giving the extra numbers on board.

I think you have brought up a valid point here. I have been to caches that I would not be happy going on my own too, even with my 9 yr old. I would feel very nervous being out in the wilds so to speak and very vunrable. I used to walk for miles and miles on my own or with the little ones but I would not dream of doing the same walks today without an other adult with me. Maybe I am just getting a bit jumpy in my old age or maybe I have read too many horror stories? If there was a group of you I know that I would feel a lot safer.

Is it just me that feels this way...or am I just a big woose??

Lolly

had a similar conversation yesterday.

think about it, why would nutter/pervert hang around in the woods on the off chance that someone might come by??

they hang around shopping centres as there are far more chances for them there.

statistically there is now more risk now than ther has ever been. and the worst offenders are known to the family, not strangers....

so get out into the countryside, it's safer healthier and much more fun than towns

Statistically there is NO more risk than there has ever been.

Indeed. The single best thing most parents can do for their kids' safety is to get them a bike helmet and make sure they wear it.

However, telling us that drug-dealing terrorist pedophiles are out to get our kids, sells more copies of the Daily Nasty. <_<

Could the op post their forthcoming caching locations on the forum and ask other families if they would like to join them on the venture. Single caching parents would possibly find going in groups not only more sociable caching but safer giving the extra numbers on board. 

I think you have brought up a valid point here. I have been to caches that I would not be happy going on my own too, even with my 9 yr old. I would feel very nervous being out in the wilds so to speak and very vunrable. I used to walk for miles and miles on my own or with the little ones but I would not dream of doing the same walks today without an other adult with me. Maybe I am just getting a bit jumpy in my old age or maybe I have read too many horror stories? If there was a group of you I know that I would feel a lot safer.

Is it just me that feels this way...or am I just a big woose??

Lolly

hmmm had a idea <_<my idea prompted by lollybob

Edited by Tupperware Hunters

statistically there is now more risk now than ther has ever been. and the worst offenders are known to the family, not strangers....

Doh!

Statistically there is NO more risk than there has ever been.

oops that's what i meant to say but it was early and my brain wasn't really up to speed. so no change there then.!!!!

get out into the countryside and have some fun, far healthier and safer than urban living! :blink:

I reckon its just jealousy, without my 2 children daughter 9 son 7 I wouldn’t have found as many caches. Really I’ve only found 4 they have found the rest, I take so long to find them and they seem to do it just like that, even when I am right next to the cache I cant see it they just walk up to it and their it is. Annoying that perhaps I should leave them at home, but then I wouldn’t have as much fun