.loc Vs .gpx

ShadwSrch

Insert standard "Would have searched if I could." message here...

I am new to this, and haven't even gotten the GPS yet (it will arive UPS today :) ). I am looking around so I can be prepared for when it arrives.

The .loc file is basically an XML file, but I noticed that there is not much in it.

Is the GPX just more complete?

Is having a premium account the only way to download .GPX files?

I am looking at GSAK, and have successfully downloaded and accessed .loc files for caches within 7 miles of my house. Looking at the detail, though, I know that I will want more.

Thoughts?

loc file is basically .... cache waypoint name and location coordinates. The minimum you need to download to a GPS and go looking.

gpx file is available only to premium members. It contains everything needed to download the GPS (loc file stuff) and to download to a PDA or PPC so you have descriptions, hints, 5 past logs, correct waypoint geocache symbol.

We use gpx files from pocket queries (another premium feature) downloaded into MapSource for transfer to our Garmin Map60C and for transfer to our PDA for the Cachemate program.... Everything we need to go geocaching!

Both loc and gpx files are text files and can be viewed in any text editing program.

:) ImpalaBob

The GPX fliles have some advantages even for those who aren't using paperless caching. First it comes with the geocache icon symbol valued for all caches (its just a generic waypoint icon with LOC files). Also, it comes with the comment field valued with the cache and owner name, so if you have a unit like a Garmin 60 series, the comment field for the waypoint will contain that info.

I have about thirty Pocket Queries saved in my list that cover a wide area. I don't have any of them "scheduled." I just run them when needed, like the day before I know I am going into town to run some errands.

Play with the filters in GSAK while you wait for your GPSr to arrive. You can filter for just the easy caches, or for the hiking caches (based on the Difficulty and Terrain ratings).

With your mapping software you can create a route, convert that to a .gpx file and then use the arc/poly filter in GSAK to get only the caches next to or very close to that route.

It is a very powerful program that was extremely daunting for me when I first looked at all those options. :)

Now you will want to get a Palm (or Pocket PC), if you don't already have one, so you can "cache paperless." :huh:

Welcome to the addiction! :)