Cobra 1000- Nice Gpsr

First 150 geocache finds I did with a Magellan Explorist 200. The next 25 a Garmin map60. And now I just found my last using all three(Gar.+Mag.+Cobra) GPSr's under tree cover. The map60 seems to jump around where the Exp200 had a more stable pointer. the Cobra 1000 seems to fall somewhere inbetween the two. I like the Cobra. I was able to enter waypoints without looking at the manual. The buttons and quality of the unit seems to compair with the Top Two. As well as the accuracy and ease of locking sats. I don't know why this unit has such a bad reputation- other than most people have never even seen one- or used one for that matter! Only drawback I can see is you can't download waypoints with GSAK yet. BTW- does anyone know how to download maps for an entire state or a large region all at once? Thanks!

I don't have any maps on the map60 yet but I'm pretty shure they are going to be better than the cobra's "Street finder" which comes with the unit- no extera cost. For me, I think it will be fine- I just need to see the streets in an area and my brain processes the best way much better than any auto routing GPSr! The unit is larger than the other two- but the screen is much bigger also!

As Briansnat probably has alluded to, Cobras have a real bad rep on here. But it is mostly due to the older 100 and 500 models, which did perform quite poorly. From experience with friends, the 1000 is actually pretty good.

However, as you discovered, it is not really compatible with any of the standard geocaching tools/waypoint downloading software, etc. I have a similar problem with my unit, the Whistler Galileo. If you only cache occasionally like me it's OK, I can live with the manual loading of waypoints, but if you're going to do this a LOT (say for example like the people who average a find a day), you may want to sell this unit on eBay and just use your other GPSr's you mention. There will defintely be takers on eBay from people who only do occasional caching or otherwise are looking for a relatively inexpensive GPS.

Good luck!

Edited by hairymon
... it is not really compatible with any of the standard geocaching tools/waypoint downloading software, etc.  I have a similar problem with my unit, the Whistler Galileo.

IIRC the Whistler Galileo is more ore less identical with the Alan Map 500.

There's a German program called RRMap500Cache for converting geocaching GPX- and LOC-files (and some other formats) to Alan WPR-files. Maybe they work for the Galileo too. :laughing:

Cornix

Edited by Cornix
... it is not really compatible with any of the standard geocaching tools/waypoint downloading software, etc.  I have a similar problem with my unit, the Whistler Galileo.

IIRC the Whistler Galileo is more ore less identical with the Alan Map 500.

There's a German program called RRMap500Cache for converting geocaching GPX- and LOC-files (and some other formats) to Alan WPR-files. Maybe they work for the Galileo too. :laughing:

Cornix

Cornix, no for whatever reason it doesn't work with it, I actually did try that.

In addition to the Alan Map 500 in Europe, this unit was also sold in Asia (and I believe in some parts of Europe) as the Holux GM-101 (both Holux and Whistler have discontinued it). I know this because if you look carefully at the mapping software the unit came with on a PC for transferring maps in "About" it says that Holux makes everything. OziExplorer supposedly works with the Holux mapping software format, but I have been told by a couple of other users with Whistler units that it didn't work with their GPS. In the US, Holux sells the units the go with DeLorme Street Maps in the US to turn a laptop into a GPSr so I imagine there's some demand to do things in their format.

The one Holux thing I have gotten it to do is that I was able to download Holux's mapping software and put non-US maps into my unit.

Thanks for the tip though! As I said, I don't mind because I don't cache enough to worry too much about automating waypoint downloads, etc. otherwise, I'd eBay my GPSr and go for something less unconventional.

Edited by hairymon

Thanks for the tip- I might just keep it as a spare unit. After more comparison I'm thinking the map60 shows the geocache waypoints on the map really nice- where the Cobra dosn't seem to do it at all, even though you can customize the waypoint marker like on the map60. The included mapping software shows all the roads in my hokey town- even the dirt ones! But yeah, I have to admit the map60 is the ticket for geocaching- I like how the caches open up when you find them!

I forgot to mention this- the cobra's accuracy is right up with the map60 and Explorist 200- I had all three units 'zeroed out' at 4 feet!

Edited by sundogranch

Actually (I don't know about the Cobra 100 and 500 though :) ), most GPSr's have the same degree of accuracy, the only difference is whether it is WAAS enabled or not as the WAAS ones are obviously more accurate on average.

I have come to caches where my Whistler G was right on the money and others where based on the coordinates I have it was about 30-50 ft. off (one other minus to Whistler I forgot to mention is that the units don't show EPE, only DOP).