Garmin Rino 120

I received a Garmin Rino 120 for Christmas and have been using it to find all my caches. The Rino models just add a Family Radio Service (FRS) radio to the GPS receiver in the same device. Pretty sure the GPS part of the Rino is (almost) identical to one of the other Garmin model lines.

I already had friends and family who used FRS radios, so a Rino for me meant only one device in the field for GPS and communications with them, now if only they would get some Rinos too, we could send our positions to one another as well...

I'm pretty sure that other than the added bonus of a FRS radio a Rino 120 is pretty much equivelant to a Garmin Legend as far as the GPS part of it goes.

Actually the key benefit is if you are using it along with other Rino users it will show their location on the map. That feature comes in handy for hunters, skiers or any time groups split up and plan on meeting up later.

Moving to GPS Units and Software forum

The advantage of being able to see the other users location is a neat feature. Plus you have the FRS to talk to others. As far as the radio goes I don't think the range is very far. My GPS does not have a radio feature but I plan on picking up a couple of motorola handhelds with a 12 mile range for maybe $35.

Kyle

Beyond that, you use GMRS, but you gotta get a license

I don't think I'd worry too much about buying that license...I have been selling gmrs radios for about 7 years now, and to the best of my knowledge, no one I know has ever got that license. The FCC just isn't too worried about handheld 2 watt radios. I'm not advocating breaking the law...I just know that you don't need to worry one little bit about the "radio police" knocking on your door if you do.

I've used the very similar Rino 130 for a couple of years and really like it.

Some folks have been dissatisfied with the radio quality, however I believe they had difficulty because of the sensitivity of the Rino microphone. You'll find an adjustment to that sensitivity in your menu options. Turn it down to a reasonable and personal level, experiement a bit until you get it right.

Also, the family radio service channel numbers vary from one manufacturer to the next. Check the actual frequencies in the manuals in order to find the correct display channels for communicating using radios from different manufacturers.

The Rino receives satellite information best when held with the antenna pointed upward.

Enjoy!

MagicTogether-Alaska