Will Leaves Block The Signal Next Spring?

Just started and I have perused the forum for an answer to this question but had no luck.

If I place a cache in an area that is populated by deciduous trees, will the signal be compromised when the leaves come back this spring?

Right now, reception is not strong- but enough to guide. I'm afraid it will go downhill.

Thanks alot! Sure am loving this!!!

Shauna

lowermainlander

Like other said, trees are just part of the game!

Now, try to find a micro hid on a 7 story parking deck!!

When you enter the lower level on the parking deck, you lose ALL signal reception.

So, you have to go to the most upper level, let your GPS re-aquire, find the location, THEN you have 7 spots to search!! (insert evil grin here) :unsure:

Now where would the fun be if you were told which level!! :blink:

D-man B)

(If any of you locals are reading this... IT"S COMING SOON!!) ;);):P

Through anecdotal observation, I found the taller the trees the more the interference. The thickness of the foliage doesn't really seem to matter much. We assume it does because that's the first thing we decide upon when we look up... and not around at how the horizon has been affected by all the trunks creating a shadow, thus blocking the signal.

Leaves don't hold much water. No matter how thick the foliage, you're only talking a miniscule amount of water that's held by the leaves. You'll have more interference from an average rainfall. An average Elm tree with a trunk diameter of 24 inches (that's about a 60 foot height) has the capacity of taking in an additional 20-25 gallons of water in 2-4 hours when injected directly into the root system. That's 25 gallons of water in addition to what is already in the tree. When you want to talk about a water barrier, that's where you want to look.

The height and thickness of the tree's trunk and branches are what effects your ability to gain a good signal. Density of the forest can play into this if the trees are smaller in diameter.

Gee, YOUR wife works at XXXXX, must be at XXXXX. Am I right?

Ummmm.... Could Be!! :blink:

:lol::blink::blink:

Now shall we make this really interesting and make it a multi/puzzle? :lol:

Let's see... we'll need a compass, a deck of cards, 15 refridgerator magnets, a Sharpie, and a keen sense of fashion to properly match colors!! :blink::blink:

Just kidding! :P

Or am I? :P

D-man ^_^