San Diego Warmarking

WizCreations

Just in case you don't know, Waymarking began a few months ago and became available to the non-members on Nov 2. It replaced virtual and locationless caches, but it also seems to have combined them (to me at least). You find something, the 'waymark,' and then record it under the appropriate category at Waymarking.com (that's the locationless cache part). If what you found as already been discovered, you can log your visit under the previously created waymark (that's the virtual cache part).

I was hopeful that many of us San Diego cachers, and other counties of course, become more involved so that when we go geocaching or when there aren't any unfound geocaches nearby, we can add waymarks to our list of finds for the day. There aren't too many recorded waymarks yet, but I'm hoping that will change in the near future.

edit: AHHH!! I hit the wrong key when typing the topic title. My apologies.

Edited by Wiz Creations
And if it works like a Faraday cage, you are likely painting your walls with metal.

The paint is claimed to contain a "copper and aluminum fibered compound" (whatever that means) so basically you are painting your walls with metal.

I wonder, though, how well it really works. In my limited experience with Faraday cages, unless you can construct a true Faraday cage (including shielding and electro-magnet gaskets on all doors/windows) the results may be considerably less than desired (e.g. nothing) or worse, in some circumstances, you may be worse off than if you had done nothing at all... (as in the report referenced by Snake&Rooster).

I suspect it's all a plot by the NSA to have you paint a big RF reflector on your walls in order to assist them monitoring you as you netsurf to sites like "Caches Gone Wild!" and "Wet, Wild and Naked GPSrs" :D:D:rolleyes:

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer
:P  We try to avoid warmarking in our neighborhood  :D  and have gone so far as to paint our house with forcefieldwireless latex paint  ^_^  :D

~Jess

Thanks Jess... Where did you find that paint? I want some.

Paint!

John's opinion on Waymarking is if it caches on, buy stock in Google!

~Jess

That looks like a scam.

Oh well, so much for Waymarking, even though it has hardly any difference from locationless and virtual caches, which just about all of us have done.

Oh well, so much for Waymarking, even though it has hardly any difference from locationless and virtual caches, which just about all of us have done.

I think it looks interesting - I have to admit I'm just a little confused by the web site. I can't quite figure out if I'm supposed to add waymarks that match a certain category (like locationless?) or log that I've found waymarks that someone else has added (like virtuals?). It doesn't seem quite as intuitive as the geocaching site. :D So don't give up yet - I think a lot of us just haven't really explored it enough yet.

I think it looks interesting - I have to admit I'm just a little confused by the web site. I can't quite figure out if I'm supposed to add waymarks that match a certain category (like locationless?) or log that I've found waymarks that someone else has added (like virtuals?). It doesn't seem quite as intuitive as the geocaching site. :D So don't give up yet - I think a lot of us just haven't really explored it enough yet.

If you found a new "thing" (for lack of a better word, except 'waymark') for whatever category, there is a link on the right side of the category's page about halfway down under Category Options that says Record Waymark, but if you found a "thing" that someone else was already recorded, you go to that waymark page and click Log Your Visit under Waymark Options.

If you don't know that your find has already been recorded and you set try to record it again, it will give you a list of all waymarks within 1 mile of yours and ask if you are duplicating. If you are, you will know, and then you can just log the visit.

... even though it has hardly any difference from locationless and virtual caches...

Some selected differences/drawbacks:

Waymark finds won't appear on your "regular" stats as an icon;

Finds don't go to total finds;

You can't use one search field to find both caches and waymarks;

No link on a cache page to find nearest waymark listed/posted, etc...

Edited by Chuy

QUOTE (Chuy @ Jan 7 2006, 12:13 AM)

Waymark finds won't appear on your "regular" stats as an icon;

Finds don't go to total finds;

They do, but it's the Waymarking stats. Eventually, they might be incorporated, but Waymarking is still beta and doesn't have all the features users want yet.

You can't use one search field to find both caches and waymarks;

No link on a cache page to find nearest waymark listed/posted, etc...

Nope, and that's a bummer. Maybe eventually.