Download To Garmin 60cs

I am having some difficulty downloading corrdinates to my Garmin 60cs. I have figured out how to download maps about 20 minutes ago.

I tried to search but it is still not working.

I just got this GPS for Christmas :o . Updated from a Garmin III plus.

I would appreciate any help or any other hints or short cuts with the unit.

Thanks

Edited by Instant Coffee

Try using the GPS IIIplus Cable connected to your 60cs, and it should behave the same way the IIIplus did on Mapsource.

You may be having USB trouble, but you said you downloaded some maps, so I don't know.

I have a Map60C and it has been working good via the serial cable and the USB cable.

I am trying to download waypoints from the GC.com website (rather than entering the coordinates by hand).  I am thinking I need additional software.  I do have mapsource city select.

Once the download is finished, are you looking in the waypoint menu or geocache menu. If the Geocache Icone is not set as the default icone on your GPS, the waypoints will not show in the Geocache menu but in the waypoints menu.

PS: you should try Esay GPS or GSAK as a sotfware

Edited by Nomade

Here is a step-by-step:

Step One: Get the coordinates from the internet.

You can do this by looking on the cache page and printing it out, or writing it down, or simply setting there and punching them into your GPSr (see question 1 of the Waypoints Section of the FAQ). If you load coordinates by hand, double check for typos, and you're done. Go to Step Four.

You can also do this electronically by downloading a .loc file from the internet to your computer. This file has the coordinates, but not much more. If you are a premium member ($3/month) then you can download a .gpx file, which has lots more info about the cache, and a pre-set geocaching icon. You can also download big batches of caches via "pocket queries."

Step Two: Use software to handle downloaded coordinates.

If you downloaded coordinates to your computer, you need some program that will open those files so that you can do something with them. EasyGPS is free and will work. GSAK is free to try and $20 to buy, and is a more powerful database manager that lets you slice and dice, filter and sort, caches. MapSource (for Garmin Map users) also handles .gpx filesi n versions higher than 6.5 (I believe).

Step Three: Load the cache info onto your GPSr.

Now that you have opened up your .loc or .gpx file with some software on the computer, you can use that software to upload the cache info to your GPSr. Depending on the software you chose, you can upload the coordinates, symbol, hints or other info (limited by the field sizes in the GPSr). If you get the coordinates and the name of the cache uploaded, that's all you need. Uploading the cache symbol (closed treasure chest) to your 60C is handy, because it lets you use Geocaching Mode, but you can change the symbol manually if you want to.

Step Four: Take the cache info with you.

Nothing is more frustrating (to me) than getting to the cache location and not being able to find the cache. If only I had brought the darn hint with me, or some of the prior finders' logs! Many cachers do this by printing the cache page from the internet (sometimes with the hint decoded and all logs listed). If you cache very much, trees will *scream* at the paper you use to do this. Others load as much info as they can onto the GPSr (very limited) or use a PDA to carry the info with them. PDAs are not needed to cache, but if you downloaded .gpx files from the GC site, and opened them with GSAK, you can use that software to load all of the cache info onto your PDA and save lots of trees. There are a number of good tutorials to teach you how to do this. Here's one for using GSAK and Cachemate on your PDA. Other people prefer CyBret's Spinner/Plucker approach.

Step Five: Go find the cache!!!

Get out there and find it. The GPSr will lead you to within 20 or 30 feet of the container. Then you have to stop looking at it and learn to think like a cache hider. Where would I hide that little guy if I were doing it?

You may also want to check out

Thot's Beginner's Guide

Markwell's Update to the FAQ and

CyBret's Geocacher University.

Lot's of great advice there for beginners.

Welcome to the recreational activity/sport/hobby!

Edit to add links

Edited by Sputnik 57