Hiding A Cache

HuntersUS

An ammo box is a good start. Just be sure to paint or sand out the military markings and mark the outside clearly as a geocache. Also, be familiar with the guidelines for placing a cache. This could head off approval issues and wasted effort on your part.

Hide your cache somewhere where it won't be accidently discovered. Even if its marked as a geocache, it can cause alarm if found by a non geocacher.

Try to hide it in as natural manner as possible. An unnatural looking pile of sticks begs for a non geocacher to investigate and this can result in a call to the police, or the theft of the cache.

Other than that, try to find a spot that has some redeeming value. A nice view, an historic site, an oddity or perhaps just a pleasant walk. Do that and your cache is already better than 3/4 of the caches out there.

And above all, be ready to maintain your cache. Weekly or monthly visits aren't necessary, but if someone reports a problem, try to get out there promptly to check it out.

Good luck!

Good luck! We just submitted our second cache for approval a couple of days ago. I was worried at first about hiding caches but I think its cool to see the logs coming in. If you've read the information on this website Id also recommend the great website "Geocacher U" (the link is on the resources page) My only other advice is to have fun. B)