Counting Smiley Vs Caches?

Deafdillos

We are wondering about the number of smilies and found caches. We understand that the number of smilies is not a true reflection of the number of found caches.

We have questions about this matter. B)

1. What are the guidelines for counting the found caches? Are the temporary caches that are created for a event cache counted or not? What kind of bonus caches qualify as a “found” cache?

2. What about revisiting the caches? Sometimes we revisit caches with newbies. Repairing caches?

For example, one cache page offers two smilies. One smiley for finding a small actual cache then the bonus smiley is a reward for going across a street and taking a photo of a cacher with a landmark which is about 250 feet away. We may claim two found caches for this or we just get two smilies and one cache?

Logging a second find for taking a picture is not only silly, but it's a underground virtual cache--something no longer listed on this site.

There's really no guideline on this, and there's been some abuses. Folks logging in some cases dozens of finds for one cache or event. I dont get it.

But probably the best advice you'll get from this thread is to ignore anyone but your own find count. You know what you found, and that's really all you can worry about.

Jamie

Find count (on GC.com) is just a count of the number of find logs you have entered. The term smiley face is used because each find log has a smiley face as opposed to DNF logs which have a frowny face. So yes, if you log extra find notes for each temporary cache at an event, or an extra find note because the cache owner says you can claim an extra find by doing something besides "finding" the cache, or logging a find on a return visit because you found the cache in a different location than you found it the first time; your find count will go up one for each of these logs. Most people would agree that these aren't really finds and shouldn't be logged as such, but you are free to log what ever feels right to you. Some people are "puritans" who believe that logging extra caches is the devil's work and you will go to caching hell if you do this.

Edited by tozainamboku
We are wondering about the number of smilies and found caches. We understand that the number of smilies is not a true reflection of the number of found caches.

We have questions about this matter. B)

1. What are the guidelines for counting the found caches? Are the temporary caches that are created for a event cache counted or not? What kind of bonus caches qualify as a “found” cache?

2. What about revisiting the caches? Sometimes we revisit caches with newbies. Repairing caches?

For example, one cache page offers two smilies. One smiley for finding a small actual cache then the bonus smiley is a reward for going across a street and taking a photo of a cacher with a landmark which is about 250 feet away. We may claim two found caches for this or we just get two smilies and one cache?

1. No, temporary caches are not published on this site. Would you count finds from terracaching or navicaching on this site?

2. No, you've found it once, after that you already know where it is.

Temp caches already covered. Some historic bonus caches exist but they likely were modified after the original approval or are "very" historic. It seems to me it would be best people didn't offer bonus finds but occasionally they might contribute to the fun of the sport if the bonus is truely unique.

In most cases a second found log for a single cache is inappropriate. It bugs me to see someone log a second find when nothing about the cache has changed. I would likely request a finder to delete a second find unless there is something very unique about their visit to my cache.

If the container has been moved to a substantially new location people will sometimes relog it as found. I don't have a problem with that but would prefer that the cache owner just archive the old and create a new page.

- - -

A few "unique" found logs (and I mean very few) scattered throught a cacher's history will not usually skew the cachers stats and in my opinion hurts no one. It can and does contribute to the fun of the game. But if becomes a regular practice for someone then they become "fair game" in the peer pressure arena.

1. What are the guidelines for counting the found caches?
There are no guidelines and that's a problem. Folks are continuously comparing apples to oranges with the same number. The way this site is set up it only counts "Found It" logs. A "Found It" doesn't mean you actually found the cache. Folks will use the FI log type yet clearly indicate they did not find the cache in the written protion. They might log a FI twice on a second visit. An owner might use the FI log type on a maintenance visit. Clearly, none of these are instances of someone "finding" the cache.

Are the temporary caches that are created for a event cache counted or not?
Many folks will count a temporary cache at an event, but the practice is pooh-poohed here on the forums. Personally, it's a cache and you found it, it's part of your history and the event organizer provides for a way for you to record the visit.

However, as has already been alluded to above, you can't count caches placed on other sites here. You have to add them to your personal count and unless you never find a cache placed anywhere other than here then your count here will be inaccurate. The best you can hope for is to have the count for the caches placed here to be accurate.

What kind of bonus caches qualify as a “found” cache?
Every one of them. Well, if you're talking about the a true bonus cache, one that has it's own page. Otherwise, if it's a cache and you found it ...

Never log as found a cache you've already found or you own. Quite frankly there is absolutely no reason to. Well, no valid reason anyway.

Consider this, did you already know where the cache was? How can you "find it" if you already knew where it was?

Again, as has been alluded to above. If the cache has been moved any appreciatable distance and thus a completely different hunt then a new cache page should have been made and then it's alright to re-log it. But if it's a short distance, it's not really a different hunt and doesn't warrant an increment to your count.

Some folks, though, will log a smilie if it's been moved 10 feet--even the cache owner! The only reason for that is to garner another smilie. I'd never dream of pulling a stunt like that.

One smiley for finding a small actual cache then the bonus smiley...
It probably depends on what you want your smilie count to mean.

If you want it to mean the number of caches you've found here on gc.com, whether or not you decide to include temporary caches, you have to ask yourself, "did I find a cache?"

It's just according to what you can live with.

Another exception to the noted 1 find 1 smiley per cache policy is the few remaining LC's with changing targets. I've logged one of them about a dozen times, and have had to find a unique target for each well deserved smiley.

I also had lots of fun doing so, and learned some interesting stuff along the way as a bonus.

We have questions about this matter. :o

1. What are the guidelines for counting the found caches? Are the temporary caches that are created for a event cache counted or not? What kind of bonus caches qualify as a “found” cache

When talking about this you end up speaking in generalities since not everyone does them the same way. Some are easy to explain since Most people do it a cerain way, others are not since its widely split... but for your question he goes:

Most say If you find the cache and sign the log book you can claim it found.

Logging temp caches is more divided. Short answer, some say yes, some say no, its up to the cache owner. A long answer is that some say things like, temps at an event is like claiming a find for each stage in a multi, or that the temps are not listed on this site so it makes no sense to be trying to 'count' them. The other side says they had to hunt it and should get 'credit' for it or that its how they play and geocaching is not competive so it doesn't matter. It comes down to, do you want to log them and does the owner care?(cache owners can delete your finds so you should make sure they're ok with your action)

Bonus caches again go to the owner and the whole 'what is a find' and 'what is a cache' thing.

Most agree logging new finds on caches you've been too is bad form. How can you 'find' something you already know where it is?

Its good that you repair caches, but you don't receive special finds for this.

If you logged it found twice yes that would be two smilies. Your profile shows the total number of smilites logged and to what type of cache those smilies have been logged. It doesn't show how many different caches you've logged found. (if you got to an event and find 20 temp caches, and logged the event page once for the event and 20 times for the temps your count goes up by 21 events.

Well it should be and I think it is for the vast majority of geocachers.

1. What are the guidelines for counting the found caches? Are the temporary caches that are created for a event cache counted or not? What kind of bonus caches qualify as a “found” cache

Depends on who you talk to. I believe that found it logs are simply to indicate that you found a cache. It was that way for most of the time this sport existed. Lately, some people have introduced all kinds of reasons for logging an extra "found it" log. Dance the Funky Chicken when you find the cache, log another found it. Stand on your head when you open it, log another found it. Personally I find these fake "found it" logs to be the height of silliness and they really cheapen what the meaning of a find is. You only found the cache once, whether you dance the Funky Chicken, stand on your head, find 10 temporary event caches, or pose naked with the cache.

A smiley is a log type, not a commodity to be traded or awarded.

That should be logged as a note.

Edited by briansnat

All my smilies are. :o And this is my 500th post! :o

Does your post count represent your actual number of posts or do you get extra posts for standing on your head while doing the macarena when you post?

Brian, The only time I was offered an extra smilie was for doing your "Geocacher's Greeting Dance" (the NJ version, not the MD variation) while posting on a new geo-friend's computer (where's the durn search feature when you need it???). Out of my respect for geocachers everywhere, I declined the offer and it is NOT in my post count.

Are you stalking me?