Is There Any Way To Know If

Thot

A person joined gc.com and began caching. The next day he picked up one of my travel bugs and commented on how much his little girl liked it. But, his log clearly indicated he understood it was a travel bug and how they work. About 10 days later he found his last cache and logged in to gc.com for the last time. That's been a couple of months ago and he still has the bug. I wrote him asking him about it be he doesn't reply. That's why I ask if there's any way to know if a person's email address still works.

A person joined gc.com and began caching.  The next day he picked up one of my travel bugs and commented on how much his little girl liked it.  But, his log clearly indicated he understood it was a travel bug and how they work.  About 10 days later he found his last cache and logged in to gc.com for the last time.  That's been a couple of months ago and he still has the bug.  I wrote him asking him about it be he doesn't reply.  That's why I ask if there's any way to know if a person's email address still works.

I've emailed some people through gc.com and have had them bounce back with "invalid address", so if it's truly invalid, you may get a notification. Some other times there have been no response at all -- I'd guess that those addresses are still technically valid, but either (1) the recipient never checks that email account, or (2) the recipient's spam filter is throwing them away, or (3) the recipient gets the mail but just doesn't reply.

Edited by the hermit crabs

If you use a full featured email program like Outlook you can set flags that will return notifications to you when and if the message is delivered and/or read aka opened by the recipient. Most email systems will report delivery failures to you. Thus in general, if you do not get delivery failure messages, the message in all likelyhood was delivered to the recipient's mail box. This is pretty standard email message forwarding protocol on the internet.

Edited by Team Cotati
If you use a full featured email program like Outlook you can set flags that will return notifications to you when and if the message is delivered and/or read aka opened by the recipient. Most email systems will report delivery failures to you. Thus in general, if you do not get delivery failure messages, the message in all likelyhood was delivered to the recipient's mail box. This is pretty standard email message forwarding protocol on the internet.

It also very common for recipients to have this feature turned off, since it tells spammers that they've hit a live address.

It also very common for recipients to have this feature turned off, since it tells spammers that they've hit a live address.

It is hopless, you're screwed. Happy caching. ;-)

Edited by Team Cotati

First you'd have to have the email address to be able to use Outlook.

I'm guessing the OP is just sending the message through gc.com.

If you use a full featured email program like Outlook you can set flags that will return notifications to you when and if the message is delivered and/or read aka opened by the recipient. 

I have it turned off for exactly the reason you cite.