Lifetime Membership

Jhwk

Any thought or interest in a lifetime membership option versus the monthly or annual update?

Searched the forums, and last time this was mentioned was over 2 years ago, and only in passing.

Jeremy - any thoughts? Is this even feasible, suitable, or acceptable from a business standpoint?

:unsure:

ok - so I guess it is not economically feasible? Just wanted your thoughts.

It is unrealistic. The site features, pricing, etc. will drastically change in 30 years considering the changes over the last 5. Maintaining this subscription in some fashion would be too difficult over time.

This doesn't include the fact that memberships are prepaid and through accounting practices is "spent" over the course of the year/month. How to break down a lifetime subscription would be problematic even if you don't include the "when do you plan to kick the bucket?" sort of accounting.

I always thought the word "lifetime" was a bit problematic anyway. My TiVo subscription is for the lifetime of the machine, not me. Perhaps if we use the lifetime of a goldfish we could talk.

ok - so I guess it is not economically feasible?  Just wanted your thoughts.

It is unrealistic. The site features, pricing, etc. will drastically change in 30 years considering the changes over the last 5. Maintaining this subscription in some fashion would be too difficult over time.

So how does that tie in with this? - from your renewal site here

"The following is a list of some of the Premium Member features available today. In the future we will be working to bring you newer and better features, yet you will always be locked in at the current rate as long as you continue to renew."

I know lifetime is a bit of a stretch, so how about 1, 2, and 3 year renewals?

Sorry if this is a little off topic.

What is the difference between the Annual Premium Membership (Does not renew) $30/year Annual Premium Membership (Renews Annually)?

They are both $30, does one bill you annually without any user interface?

Alright folks, will close the thread shortly, but what I found may help you.

While there is no lifetime membership available, there is an alternative. You can go the paypal route and do an annual update (you have to go in each year) or you can have the system annually renew you. OR you can go over to the credit card side and purchase renewels by unit. 1 unit ($30) is one year, 2 ($60) for 2 years, etc... I am assuming (yes, I know :ph34r: ) that there is no limit to the quantity you could purchase (10 qty for 10 years @ $300) so, in theory, I could have purchased 30 years worth of membership and come back to renew again in 2035.

But I just renewed for 2 years cus I'm weak like that.

Thanks Jeremy et al for the input and assist. :ph34r:

An amusing anecdote: Back in the early 80s when video rentals were a new thing, a bunch of guys came into the barracks bragging about the lifetime memberships they bought at a new video store downtown. “We can rent any video we want for $XX and the membership only cost $125!”

Problem was, nobody had the foresight to ask who’s lifetime. Six months later in the middle of the night the owners emptied the store and left town. :ph34r:

If Jeremy offers a lifetime membership, it means he’s about to sell off the site. :ph34r: