A Reminder Please

Laughalot

Hi everyone

Hoping you fab people can help me out.

I cannot remember for the life of me how to get an Ordnance Map grid reference converted to Co-ordinates and also how to get Post Codes converted to Co-ordinates.

Another question is - can you put OS Grid references directly into GPS's - my Mum has a Garmin Etrex Camo and was wondering if this was possible.

Many thanks in advance.

Laughalot [:anitongue:]

Hi Laughalot,

Try setting up your GPSr to "British Grid" via Main Menu/Setup/Units and make sure you have the datum set to "Ord Survey GB".

You should then be able to enter your OSGR data.

If you then change the units back to "hddd mm.mmm" (WGS84 datum), the OSGR you have entered should be back to the required co-ordinates for Geocaching.

Hopefully the above paths are valid for the Etrex Camo - I took them from my Venture.

Not sure that you can convert a postcode to co-ords - surely a postcode covers too much of a geographical area?

HTH

Russ

There's one gateway site - almost unique in its capabilities - which will provide all the conversions, mapping links and extensions you could ever asked for.

And many that you didn't know were possible. It'll even find a general location from a UK telephone dialling code.

It's Barry Hunter's excellent Nearby.org.uk

One of the most impressive things about nearby.org, is that you can put in almost any co-ordinate format - with or without degree symbols or other placeholders - and the site is "smart" enough to try and make sense of it.

Invaluable.

-Wlw.

Thanks for the mention and comments, glad the site is of some use! I constantly keep finding new uses for the site myself!

As a side note IMO, Grid InQuest software mentioned is not really worth bothering with as the accuacy* is probably over the top, and it doesnt (quite) even do Grid References! All for quite a steep learning curve. Much easier to let your GPS or one of the sites mentioned do the conversion for you.

* Perportadly sub meter accuacy but seeing as your GPS is not that accuate its so not useful (yet - possibly, but by that time hopefully the GPS will manage the comparable conversion)

Edited by barryhunter