Paperless Caching With Old Palm

I'm interested in going paperless so I can attempt a cache in any area I happen to be in without having printed the cache page first.

I've got an old (ancient) Palm II here and thought I might be able to use it instead of buying another one.

Does anyone know of any program that will run on it that will let me read ebooks etc?

Any of the programs I have looked at will only run on a Palm III and up.

Edited by The_Sentinel_

What kind of memory did that thing have? 512kb?

Besides the OS issues, 4MB would be a minimal amount of memory to hold progam and cache data; 8MB better. The old palms can run the software written for them, but I don't believe they would provide a satisfactory platform for paperless caching. For your intended use, Sputnik57's advice is good.

That being said, perhaps Geoclipping could be of some use to you. This little application copies a cache page to the Palm Desktop Memopad. It is limited to 16kb of data per page, which is not always enough. Also, you have to do pages one by one. It's not bad for heading out for a planned day of caching, but not for being ready to cache wherever you find yourself. I'm not certain it would work with a Palm II, but I think it might.

As embra said, 8mb should be the target. But why not $pend $99 and get the new palm z22? Looks like it has more than enough that a cacher could want, and it's new. Am seriously considering the 22 for my dedicated cache machine to replace my workhorse M515. I don't need all the bells and whistles and could store it in a zip-loc baggie in the backpack.

paperless caching love...

I believe my Palm II has 2 MB of RAM, so that just wouldn't cut it.

The reason I was trying to stick with the Palm II is that I don't want to fork out upwards of AU$140 on a PDA for stuff I won't use.

I only want it to carry cache details around with me.

I won't be using it for any of the phone number/diary/etc functions.

Thanks for the input peoples.

I tried mobipocket for a short time but gave that up as too slow and awkward. I use PQs loaded into GSAK then downloaded to the Palm as a pdb file for Cachemate.

GSAK makes for easy selection so I tend to wipe the cachemate database each time. That speeds up the loading process as well. <_< Cachemate also makes for easy logging/recording of cache finds, TBs, goodies traded etc.

As the good Doctor would say fanTAStic! <_<

As embra said, 8mb should be the target.  But why not $pend $99 and get the new palm z22?  Looks like it has more than enough that a cacher could want, and it's new.  Am seriously considering the 22 for my dedicated cache machine to replace my workhorse M515.  I don't need all the bells and whistles and could store it in a zip-loc baggie in the backpack.

I just bought the Z22 for caching. Office Max had it for $99 but you get the rubbery protection sleeve and 3 extra stylii. It's nice and small, and ably handles what I need it to do.

I have loaded:

Cachemate

Delorme Street Atlas for Handhelds (2006)

filez - used to delete the SAHH waypoint files

I use GSAK to generate the cachemate files, as well as the Delorme waypoint trsnafer file. I will be using SAHH mainly while on travel to unfamiliar cities. Basically to get from my hotel to the cache location. With two decent sized maps (10mix10mi and 20mix20mi) and 300 cachemate waypoints plus all applications, I still have 15mb of memory left.

I bought the Air Case ($15) which is a polycarbonate (clear) fliptop case. I think it will be rugged enough for stowing in backbacks and the like.

Hope this helps the OP.