When To Start Trading Our Personal Coin

Shasties

We have the artwork done on our personal coins and the order has been sent to the coin manufacturer. After making the dies, approvals, production, and shipping, it looks like mid to late December before we get them.

I was wondering from those of you who have had coins made, how soon before you actually have your coins in hand do you start making trades. I don't want to start taking trades in early. I normally wait until I have a coin in hand before offering it for trade, although I have traded without having the coin, but this isn't typical.

I've seen where someone says they're having a coin made and people start mailing their own coin for trade right away. Seems a little premature. I was thinking as soon as I get a confirmed delivery date might be a good time. Couple of weeks before they get here.

Any ideas?

What ever you do, you need to remember it is a lot easier to keep track of the trades if they come in a few at a time. Your tongue will thank you.  :ph34r:

Amen to that. I listed my coin on cointracking.com about a month before I had them. My intent wasn't to set up a bunch of trades, but that's what the result was. It is MUCH easier to just do trades as they come in, rather than getting a bunch all at once.

Edited by Vargseld? ™
Amen to that. I listed my coin on cointracking.com about a month before I had them. My intent wasn't to set up a bunch of trades, but that's what the result was. It is MUCH easier to just do trades as they come in, rather than getting a bunch all at once.

I am having the same experinece. I posted an addition on cointracking while they were giving away free editions. No artwork or nothing. I even stated that I was not ready to arrange for trades.

Of couse the offers for trades starded to pour in immdiately.

So can I put you down for a trade? ;)

What ever you do, you need to remember it is a lot easier to keep track of the trades if they come in a few at a time. Your tongue will thank you.  ;)

We posted for trades when the our coin went into production. We do have quite a few lined out, but since it will be a little while before the coins come in we have plenty of time to get mailers and the like ready (a few per day).

As it stands now ALL of our mailers (for those that orderd the Bronze Edition and for those that traded for the Silver Edition) are ready to be stuffed and shipped as soon as the coins get here!

No ideas but I'm glad you asked! My artwork should be done this week (fingers crossed) and I am all at sea as to what the next steps are.

Once the order is in, should I post the artwork here to let people see it?

Or should I post it first (before ordering) to get an idea for demand?

What *is* a normal run for the personal coin by an unknown cacher?

I have a sinking suspicion that I am signing up for more work than I have *any* idea! Any encouraging words or horror stories to share?

When I got our artwork, I found a place to post it - Shasties Coin - and sent everything along to the minter. We are having antique bronze coins made for our general coin, antique silver made for a limited edition coin, and a few shiny gold ones made that are not for trading, but for putting in caches and 'special' occasions. None of our coins are going to be sold. Trade only. Ant to start with we are trading personal for personal coins only. I have a bunch of others for general trading

I've been doing a lot of coin trading, so I have a pretty good system of keeping track of who I'm trading with, their address, what they're sending, what I'm sending, date it was sent, date I received their package, and if they received my package. I use the packing method pinned at the top of the forum. I also send everything with a PO confirmation. It makes the PO watch the package a little better and is only 55 cents more. Thing is, you package MUST be at last 3/4 inches thick to be able to use this. I stuff a piece of cardboard, the coin, and a copy of my email inside. Never any problem with the thickness. This has worked real good for me so far.

I never use signature confirmation. That requires someone to be home to sign for the package. 9 time out of 10 there's nobody there and the package goes back to the PO where you either have to go down there to get it or make some fancy arrangements with the PO to get them to leave it.

So, looks like things are set on our end. Now to just wait for the right time which, by the responses, can be anytime now. If anyone is looking to trade personals, email me.