Pda Confusion

What I really want is a PDA that will connect to the internet (& geocaching.com) the way my cell phone does. That doesn't appear to be available, unless I go to a phone/PDA combo which I don't like mainly because of the smaller size of the screen. I have a cell phone with blue tooth and I understand this can be used as a modem with some PDAs.

Accessing geocaching.com from the field isn't really a priority, since I can load the records on ahead of time, but there are always those times you wish you could log on (or log your finds) and since I'm upgrading now, figure I might as well go for it all.

So-- anyone out there found the solution? Or know what NOT to get?

I know you said you didnt want a combo unit, but the Treo 650 comes pretty close to what you want. Reasonable screen size, and you can access the WAP site or the regular site with the built-in web browser. If you prefer a windows PDA interface to a palm (although I cant imagine why you would), Palm is just about to come out with a windows version of the 650.

Hey, thanks.

the Treo 650 comes pretty close to what you want. 

So you use it to access gc.com? And it works well?

I could use my cell phone but can't see enough of the screen to stay sane. Also, the cell phone doesn't like to click some buttons, like the one after I enter the zip code to search on, so that doesn't work too well. No problems like that with the Treo?

There are lots of different Pocket PC (windows mobile) phones that have a large screen (3.5" to 3.7"), GPRS, Bluetooth and WiFi.

I have several PDAs and use the WiFi feature to grab a internet connection. There seems to be hotspots everywhere at no charge.

They have a built in web browser, email client and run all kinds of geocaching software.

PDA Phones

Samsung sch-i730

Siemens SX66

i-mate Pocket PC Phone Edition

HP iPAQ h6315

HP iPAQ h6500 mobile messenger

E-TEN P700

If you only want WiFi and Bluetooth only:

Dell X51, X51v

HP uPAQ hx2000 series, hx4700 series, rx3000 series

Integrated GPS

Mio 168RS

Garmin iQue M5, M3

Dell has an option

Geocahcing and mapping software for the PPC:

BeeLineGPS

GPXSonar

GPSTuner

Memorymap Navigator

TomTom

Mapopolis

Garmin Que

If you want internet (free) get a PDA with wifi and connect at hotspots.

If you want internet wherever you go, look to the Cell Phone companies for add ins that will give you internet (for a fee) wherever they have service. Typically the gizmo will be a CF card device. (I think but I'm not at all sure this is what they are calling GMRS but never having used it or messed with it I'm not sure about that at all).

Your Combo PDA's have the means built in to do the internet/phone/pda. All for a small additional fee.

The solution I like is a Bluetooth phone paired with my PDA esp. if you don't want a combo unit. I use a iPaq 4700 and a Sony 710a. Nice thing about a Bluetooth phone is you can pair it with a laptop as well (yes, you'll need Bluetooth on it). We actually logged caches last weekend whilst sitting in the boonies, all alone in deserted campground, cel tower at the south end of the lake. Tweren't fast, but doable...

I've debated upgrading to a combo unit , but I really like the large screen of my 4700...

My experience is with Cingular and Verizon. Both allow internet access without a data plan, you arejust burning minutes. I have an unlimited data plan through my biz though. Pretty slick to be able to look anything up, ANYTIME...

There are some pretty slick phone/PDA coming down the pipeline fairly soon though.

Check howardforums.com for good forums about all the different providers.

Hey, thanks.

the Treo 650 comes pretty close to what you want. 

So you use it to access gc.com? And it works well?

I sometimes access cg.com, but generally use the WAP site since it takes so much less bandwidth. The browser in the 650 is pretty good, and is handy if you need to see a picture on the cache page, but the download speed around Houston is about 200Mbps, so you sometimes have to be patient (unless you are used to dial-up).

I few weeks ago, I was at a remote cache and really needed the hint. I started to log on with my 650, and realized that I forgot to recharge my phone. The car was a mile and half back up the trail. "No problem," I thought, "I'll just look it up in CacheMate." Only then did I remember that CacheMate is also on my 650. Doh! :ph34r: .

Thanks, everyone, for all the good information! I've pretty much still got the phone/PDA combo ruled out, the 2nd big reason being the price of the plan. But now I know what I need to in order to go get a decent PDA.

The price of the data plan is a big factor, but varies with the carrier. I understand that Sprint is about $15 per month for unlimited data. Cingular wants to charge you $45 per month for their PDA plan, but with the 650, you can get their unlimited MediaNet plan for $20 per month and it works fine (despite the carp that the sales reps dish out telling you it won't work for e-mail, etc on a 650).