Which North?

Which North should i use for general GPS use? Rightly or wrongly i am using it on magnetic setting, is this correct? :unsure:

Thanks for any help with this.

Nick

For general GPS use it doesn't matter what you have your unit set at. A waypoint will have the same coordinates no matter what you choose. However if you are navigating by utilizing a paper topographical map then you will want your GPSr set for True north or Grid north. Most often they are the same or if not then very close. The same holds true for a magnetic compass if you are using it in conjunction with a map. Thats if the compass is adjustable for magnetic declination.

Most geocaches that have compass bearings as part of the find will specify if it's magnetic or true. Most of those are probably magnetic. If it doesn't say then presume magnetic and hope that's correct. :anibad:

Cheers, Olar

Interestly enough, Navy airplanes and helicopters use magnetic headings and bearings, while ships use true. This might look like a source of confusion, but it doesn't... it has been overcome by training.

The reason airplanes use magnetic North as a reference is based on the magnetic standby compasses used to back up the primary gyro compasses.

Which North should i use for general GPS use? Rightly or wrongly i am using it on magnetic setting, is this correct? :huh:

If I were you, I would use True North. This will align your compass reference to the same grid lines you are playing the game on (latitude and longitude.) This way, if you have trouble getting good coordinates, you can move away from your reference position at a 90 degree angle and determine one coordinate, then move two an adjacent 90 degree bearing from your reference point and determine the other coordinate.

OR, as said above ... if you cache with a magnetic compass and get a bearing to the cache from your GPS, set the reference to magnetic north so when you approach with that stated bearing, you can follow your magnetic compass. As always, be aware of man-made sources of large magnetic fields.

If ALL you are doing is following the electronic compass needle, any setting will work.

Your main concern will be to make sure that you calibrate your electronic compass EVERY TIME you change batteries. You should then be sure that you are away from any large metallic objects (your car, truck, a bridge, etc.) and that you are out out any large magnetic fields (power lines, transformers, bridges, and any moving large metallic objects such as large trucks and trains) when you calibrate your electronic compass.

You can test your calibration using your magnetic compass and verify the settings (reset the reference to magnetic north if not previously set), etc., by going to a large parking lot (theaters during the mornings work well) and setting way points for two light poles, then maneuvering between the two.

I'm interested to know what's best also....

I set my GPS compass to magnetic north because everytime I switch from my real compass to the gps compass I have different readings. I have the same problem with 'lat & lon' -or- 'UTM'.

I much prefer UTM as for me it so much easier to use and to plot onto a map. It just makes more sense to me. But I hate the hassle of the conversion when geocaching so I leave my gps on lat/lon. If weren't for the geocaching I would use the UTM datum for everything. That's me though.

Team sidewinder