First You Get The Carkeys

geoclam

Quit making excuses. Go out and find the caches, sign the logs and have fun

Roger that.

My bad.

(An anal, prefectionist(?) am I).

Next Saturday will be my first hunt.

I'll be happy to post my first DNF.

(Or.. you'll tire of my FFFM (First Find For Me) onandonandon detail).

Thanks for the boost.

...Getting somewhat intimidated by the rules and regulations.

Just wanna have fun.

Finding that first one was a big step for me too. I was scared to death (even though I was searching with an experienced geocacher), petrified that I would not be able to find it, knowing that I would go down in flames at the outset of my new adventure.

Then, even though I found the cache before my experienced friend (I assure you he didn’t allow me to find it first; he was looking 30 yards away from where it was hidden), I froze up; I was afraid to touch the dadgum (my choice of words, not this forums filter) thing! You know, protocol is everything when you’re caching.

So I called my experienced friend over to the scene and he immediately and skillfully opened the ammo can lid and began sorting through the contents. He pulled out something he called a travel bug and claimed, “This is why I’m here.” “Touch it,” he insisted. So I cautiously caressed the bug with the back of my hand.

After my friend had read the entire log out loud, I was nearly in tears. I just really didn’t think I’d be able to do this strange new (and very secret) pastime, and at the same time keep up with the geocaching Joneses around the world.

So I went home and went to the website for the first time. Be wary, treading in there; you’ll find about a million rules and guidelines and you have to sign your life away when you check the terms of agreement.

On that first cache hunt, I didn’t trade for anything. Since then, I have learned that if you don’t trade even or up, you will be chastised in the community. Another really important thing is to put the cache back exactly like you found it; violate this one and the cache police will come looking for you. Also be sure to write something kind in the online log or you may discover threatening, nasty emails from the cache owners.

If you think finding your first cache will be traumatic, just wait until you hide your first one.

So anyway, that was all nearly three years ago. I got over it and developed into the fine, upstanding member of this community that I am today. <_<:ph34r:

ditto sept1c - grab your GPSr, put in the nearest cache and GO.  Noone is going to critique on your style - yet.  I did the same thing.  Wanted it to be done "right" the first time.  Just relax, go, and have fun.

that's funny... I was reading it as:

"grab your GPSr, put it in the nearest cache and GO."

<_<

Thank you all, for the support.

You've all got me pretty well pegged already.

First personal challenge - not finding my car keys.

Second personal challenge - procrastination.

So now I HAVE to go out this Saturday, just to prove myself.

I'll post my experience in this thread.

and off course, log my find on the cache page.

(hmm - was that just a bouncy "f" key, our a subliminal thought?)

cheers,

George W. Clam

(the W doesn't stand for anything) <_<

So I went home and went to the website for the first time. Be wary, treading in there; you’ll find about a million rules and guidelines and you have to sign your life away when you check the terms of agreement.

ad don't forget about this so-called test that some want you to take before you can go out and play a game and have some fun.

Was there some other reason you posted here? <_<

And if you still cannot find the keys, call a friend for a ride. :ph34r:

PS:

I don't mean to drag this on ad infinitum....

Just want to post a public, special "thank you" to...

TotemLake, who took the time to answer some of my questions and concerns via PM.

Sept1c_tank, who read thru the silliness of my first post, and posted a reply to answer my "hidden" concerns.

I tend to be silly, and appreciate good humour

Realize I should have posted in the "getting started" section.