What's A Muggle?

rgray

Many times showing the cache to a muggle is a great way to let them know what is going on.

On the flip side, if you are in a city park with 200 people around, you can't be that accommodating. Also, you never know when some kid sees you dinking around in the bushes, then they go check it out after you leave.

It should be clarified that the term comes from the Harry Potter books, where magic-users refer to non-magic-users as "muggles". Muggles are not aware of the unseen world, the magical things they walk past every day.

I think. I've never read the books myself, but that's what I've gathered from context. Any Rowling fans want to set me straight?

It should be clarified that the term comes from the Harry Potter books, where magic-users refer to non-magic-users as "muggles". Muggles are not aware of the unseen world, the magical things they walk past every day.

I think. I've never read the books myself, but that's what I've gathered from context. Any Rowling fans want to set me straight?

I've read all the books, and that is exactly it. They are oblivious of the magic side in the books, as most non-geocachers are oblivious to the geocaching activity. I forget who first termed it, but it was 'geomuggles' which just got shortened. Generally used in reference to avoiding being seen, in case some of them are/become cache 'maggots', people who find entertainment by destroying other peoples fun.

Sorry, but muggle is not a dictionary term.

Actually, Dictionaries (at least most English ones) change to reflect popular usage of words, and the Oxford English Dictionary ("The definitive record of the English language") recently added the modern meaning of "muggle" to its pages. Once the geocaching definition is added you will really know that this activity is mainstream!

The OED currently has four definitions for the word, the last one (probably) being the one appropriated by geocachers:

(1) muggle, n. (rare)- A tail resembling that of a fish. (Usage examples from ca. 1300)

(2) muggle, n.- Prob.: a young woman; (spec.) a sweetheart. (Both usage examples of this meaning are from 17th century English)

(3) muggle, n. (slang, orig. U.S.). - In sing. and (usu.) pl.: marijuana. Also: a marijuana cigarette; a joint. muggle-head, a marijuana smoker. (Usage from the 20th century).

(4) Muggle, n. - In the fiction of J. K. Rowling: a person who possesses no magical powers. Hence in allusive and extended uses: a person who lacks a particular skill or skills, or who is regarded as inferior in some way.