Google Maps

kootkids

If you use google maps you only need to click the google map on the cache page. This will only show that one cache though.

To use google earth you need to have google earth installed on your computer. Go to "My Account" page and click and open the link on the right side that says "Download Geocache browser in Google Earth"

Hope that helps.

Over in the San Diego thread, some people have posted pictures from Google Earth.

I have an older computer, and a very slow dialup connection, so I can't download Google Earth, but my caching partner had it on her laptop the other day and it was incredible. We could find access to open land from the tangled streets of a neighborhood very easily.

Here is one picture that was posted, but I resized it for people with dialup connections . . . :mad:

GoogleEarthSD.jpg

1. Download Google Earth

2. Visit your "my account" page on Geocaching.com

3. Scroll down to the Google Earth section and click to download the Google Earth cache browser (bad wording)

3a. If you have not agreed to the data license agreement, do it now and return to step 2.

4. Zoom to under 500 miles by using the scroll wheel of your mouse, or entering in your address in the box in the upper left hand corner of Google Earth so it zooms you there.

5. The icons for caches will appear on the earth image. If they do not, look to the left hand side of Google Earth for the Google Earth KML text. It will explain whatever issues you may have.

6. Click on the icons to get additional info for each cache. Click on the links like your normal browser to view the cache page or to bookmark the item. Bookmarks are a Premium Member feature.

5. The icons for caches will appear on the earth image. If they do not, look to the left hand side of Google Earth for the Google Earth KML text. It will explain whatever issues you may have.

I am fine up until Step 5. I only see the map, not any caches. EDIT: Yes, I downloaded the required file from "My Account" page and yes, I am zoomed way in, on the downtown area of my city where there ought to be about 15 caches viewable within the mapped area.

What is "the Google Earth KML text?" I do not see anything on the left hand side of Google Earth that is in the nature of an error message/explanation. There are lots of checkboxes for things like parks, restaurants, etc., but nothing that says "geocaches."

I am using Windows XP on a broadband connection, and I am able to view caches by opening a GPX file, thanks to instructions from a friend with a clue. :mad: So I think I have everything installed; I just don't "get" the KML thing.

Edited by The Leprechauns

Another question - I have read posts where people enthuse about being able to "fly" along the route of a travel bug when opening the KML from that travel bug's page. I am able to open the KML and the bug's route is displayed on the map, connected by yellow lines. What do you do after that? It sounds like the route is supposed to be animated rather than just be a picture.

Another question - I have read posts where people enthuse about being able to "fly" along the route of a travel bug when opening the KML from that travel bug's page. I am able to open the KML and the bug's route is displayed on the map, connected by yellow lines. What do you do after that? It sounds like the route is supposed to be animated rather than just be a picture.

Simply highlight the first TB marker in your left-side list and hit F10 on your keyboard. This will zoom you around from location to location. If you want to get really fancy, you can save "snapshot" of each TB stop and then go flying.

Thanks, M-T-P... I was able to get that to work. It didn't seem very intuitive, so I did some more reading to find out how others figured this out. The "F10" key trick is indeed described in the section of Google's help files on "touring." I was looking for "route" since that is a term with which a GPS user is familiar.

I guess my point is that some of these instructions/tips that are specifically applicable to use with geocaches and travel bugs might be documented somewhere.

would somebody mind giving out more info. i can type in the address i want, but when it takes me to that location, it does not show me any caches. i have a thing on the left of my screen that says geocache name (difficulty'terrain) but thats it. can you tell me what i am doing wrong. Thanks

on your my account page download the KLM file from the "Download Geocache Browser in Google Earth" link

Open Google Earth

From the File tab select open and open the klm file, where ever you downloaded it too.

You will see the geocaching info under the "places" section, the red bar, it will say something to the effect that you have something less then 200 views left and how mwny caches you are looking at with the breakdown.

Hope that helps someone.

on your my account page download the KLM file from the "Download Geocache Browser in Google Earth" link

Open Google Earth

From the File tab select open and open the klm file, where ever you downloaded it too.

You will see the geocaching info under the "places" section, the red bar, it will say something to the effect that you have something less then 200 views left and how mwny caches you are looking at with the breakdown.

Hope that helps someone.

Thank you! I have highlighted the step that I was missing. Looking back again both at Jeremy's post above, and on the "About Google Earth KML" page that I linked to above, I cannot see where it says to *open* the file for the geocache browser. It just says to "download the geocache browser." I thought that I was opening the browser automatically when I clicked on the Google Earth icon.