Pocket Pc Software

I use GPXsonar and Microsoft streets and trips. About the only thing I do not like about GPXsonar is not being able to send cache files to a GPS with it for those days that I forget to update the files in my GPS.

I use Micro Soft streets and trips to display maps that include the geoaches that I am looking for, I also change to the push pins to happy faces as I find caches.

I also have GPS view but I do not use it very much, it appears to be a good program, I am just use to GPXsonar

Using a PPC for caching could fall into several categories. The first is to use the PPC as a cache data logger and reference. You would use the PPC for information about the cache only. Applications like GPXSonar would work for that. This application has the ability to load GPX files made by the pocket queries and display the information as you would see it on the web site.

The second category would be using the PPC as a complete solution. This solution would require a GPS receiver integrated or connected to the PPC. It would be use to find and keep records about the cache. BeeLineGPS works well for this type of solution. This application has the ability to import GPX files, manage waypoints and display a map of the caches and waypoints. It acts very much like a GPS handheld centric to geocaching. It will allow you to locate the cache using the go to feature and allow the user to place the map in to a course up orientation so you can go right to the cache. The cache details can also be displayed in HTML format. You simply tap and hold on the geocache icon on the map and select "Show Goecache info".

The third category would be a vehicle navigation type of software along with a GPS receiver. This would be door-to-door service. I found that Mapopolis works for vehicle navigation and geocaching as well. There are utilities to allow GPX files to be imported into the application thus giving a way to display geocaches on a map. However, it does not work well for actually finding the cache. It gets you into the area and performs great for road navigation.

There are several other software packages that support the PPC. So if you don't like the software that you are using, just select another.

Happy caching...

I use GPXsonar and Microsoft streets and trips. About the only thing I do not like about GPXsonar is not being able to send cache files to a GPS with it for those days that I forget to update the files in my GPS.

I use Micro Soft streets and trips to display maps that include the geoaches that I am looking for, I also change to the push pins to happy faces as I find caches. ...

Ditto right down to the smilie faces and forgetting to put waypoitns in my GPS.

For DNF's I use the Red Cross. I used to use GPXview but the marking caches found feature of Sonar sold me and I've never used view again.

I've been trying out Backcountry Navigator and it has promise.

I use Memory-Map Navigator and love it. I use it for all kinds of work and play. The new version has so much cool stuff in it. I like the fact that I can use a lot of different types of maps with it. The best part is that I am not stuck to maps from one company, so I get the best of all (well, most) worlds. Plus, I can use the same program on my PC and Pocket PC, so no bouncing around.