Vista C Maps

Does anyone know if theres mapping software that is capable of including footpaths ?,Im running mapsource on my Vista c, Brilliant for navigating in the car but sadly lacking when on foot. I havnt seen an upgrade for it as it seems Mapsouce may have gone to meet its maker..Any alternatives that include footpaths ???..Obviously has to work on a Vista c .

Any advice much appreciated

Obviously has to work on a Vista c .

The only maps that can be displayed on the Vista C are maps made by Garmin.

There are no garmin-compatible maps for GB which go down to footpath-and-bridleway level - with one small exception..

The exception is the county of Shropshire, for which detailed footpath mapping DOES exist.

Mapsource has indeed "gone to meet its maker" - its maker being Garmin. The meeting seems to have gone well, since a new version is presently in beta testing.

-Wlw.

I did not know about that - is it generally available or do I have to have a Shropshire passport?

The survey and mapping is being done by the same person who was responsible for the SMC contour mapping project. I should point out that Dave's still working on the Shropshire survey and, at the present rate, should have the whole county completed just after his 135th birthday... :mad:

More info HERE

Note that, to get this mapping to co-exist with other Garmin products, the usual Mapsource fiddling, registry editing and other scary stuff is involved. Do not try this at home.

Don't know if a passport is required but, knowing Shropshire CC, I wouldn't be a bit surprised.

-Wlw.

Note that, to get this mapping to co-exist with other Garmin products, the usual Mapsource fiddling, registry editing and other scary stuff is involved. Do not try this at home.

I wrote an install script for a friend of mine, he had it up and working very quickly. Mind you it was a nightmare getting him to give me the correct info over the phone

Milton (aka Moote)

Footpath-level maps for Garmin are available for Germany (119 Euros for half the country, 199 Euros for all of it) and are starting to appear for France (99 Euros per CD, 11 CDs for the whole country, we're told). So I think it's a question of supply and demand.

The UK is generally fairly up with the trends on gadgetry, so I'd be surprised if there wasn't something coming soon.

The UK is generally fairly up with the trends on gadgetry, so I'd be surprised if there wasn't something coming soon.

I think the problems that companies have with detailed maps of the UK is that the OS sell this data at a very high price. So they opt for the cheaper data sets

...which is why Bernie upgraded from the Palm IIIxe economical paperless solution to an expensive Pocket PC.

I was already a Memory-Map user and, after seeing MM in all its glory on a PPC at a Geo-caching event, courtesy of Pengy & Tigger, I eventually got one.

In the normal course of events, the Ipaq (PPC) does all my (Bernie's) routing, safety camera alerts, organiser stuff and phonebooke etc. The StreetPilot looks after Sue on the road.

When caching, we use the Vista C for the car driving stuff and the Ipaq for displaying maps. This makes it a doddle to find the little carparks, footpaths and suchlike. When we exit the car, the Vista C is back to straight-line stuff to the cache (and the Ipaq goes into its metal jacket and then in the backpack).

Of course, you don't need all this hi-tech stuff for the game - but who would choose to paddle themselves across the Cannel in a canoe instead of using a ferry or Chunnel!

Unless you live in a cave, you're a techy-lover....

I think the problems that companies have with detailed maps of the UK is that the OS sell this data at a very high price. So they opt for the cheaper data sets

a VERY high price! As people who watch QI will know, the OS have just released a set of very high detail (? 1:1000 or some ludicrous scale!) on CD for the entire country, for which the charge is not £4.99 as Alan Davies suggested, but £499,000,000.... quite a lot of CDs I imagine!

For anyone that doesn't watch QI, shame on you! Its hilarious! :unsure:

Dave