12xl V Etrex

zcoyote12

Plusses of the 12XL:

has audible alarms (handy when using it with preplanned routes)

supports external antenna

probably more durable (eTrex has had display connector issues, but 12XL could have memory battery problems)

can accept wide range of input voltages ~ 10-35 VDC (but cables with built-in regulators are cheap and readily available).

Plusses of the eTrex:

lighter and smaller

only 2 AA cells (vs. 4)

newer hardware version supports WAAS

For an extra unit to throw in the pack I'd probably opt for the lighter and smaller eTrex.

The size is a big consideration. I almost bought the Legend over the 60C for the same reason. I am glade I went with the 60 but still love the size of the etrex models. I do have to say that the 12XL is reliable. I had one for like 8 years with no problems. When I sold my boat I had to let it go.

Edited by zcoyote12

To me it would depend on what your primary GPS is, if your primary GPS is a Garmin then the e-trex would be fine. Being a backup you may not need as many bells and whistles as you have on your prmary GPS. The other thing to consider would be a GPS that use the same cables as your primary GPS. This just makes things a little easier. Of course you could even upgrade to a new primary GPS and then use what is now your Primary GPS as a back up. This option would be the most fun, treat yourself <_< Don't you think you deserve a new GPS with lots of bells and whistles.

If you primary GPS is a Magellan then I would recomend a Magellan.

I'd go with the eTrex because of its size, weight, superior battery life and WAAS.

And the eTrex Legend has mapping which is nice. If you weigh the cost of the yellow eTrex and data cable (which is $30 extra), it is about the same as the Legend which comes with the cable as standard for around $130. And I think some places are now selling a Legend package with topo software, car mount, etc... for $200 which is a good deal.

Edited by briansnat