Another Article On Caching!

We were flicking through this month's edition of my husband's trade magazine: "The Craftsman - Magazine of the Corps of Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (REME)" and there was an article on geocaching - it pops up in the most unlikely places! It gives a brief history, the website details, and how it all works. One of the Army Companies has released a Travel Bug and it gives details of it and it's mission.

We are spreading far and wide - soon geocachers will take over the world!

We are spreading far and wide - soon geocachers will take over the world!

Why stop there!

Once we've taken over the world, I wonder how long it will take for a cache to be put on the moon? :blink::rolleyes::blink:

Isn't that why that guy has paid for a trip to the moon, and is there rigt now, butty box in hand, looking for some twigs and moss to cover his hide!!

Geocaching - Launch of 8 CS Coy Travel Bug

""Geocaching is a world wide GPS 'treasure hunt' similar in some respects to Letterboxing on Dartmoor. The fist cache was placed in May 2000 after elective availability (the US Government's position error) was removed and GPS accuracy increased, it is now active in 218 countries with over 185,000 caches. All you need to have a go is Internet access, a GPS and a map. Visit www.geocaching.com enter your location and caches in your area will be listed.

A cache is a container containing a log book and other items. It may be any size (indicated on information page) from a 35mm film container to a small arms ammunition box! The co-ordinates you receive from the web will get you as close as accuracy allows, but it will still take some rooting about to find it. There are other types of cache, virtual, mystery, location-less to name a few. Further explanation of these can be found on the website. In the cache will be items you can take on an exchange basis and possibly items called ‘Travel-bugs’. A travel bug is a serialized dog tag attached to an item. These bugs are given a task to complete or a location to get to. Geocachers then help the bug achieve its goal. 8 CS Coy has recently released a travel bug. Its goal is to travel from cache to cache around the UK and promote the unit and the Corps. It may all sound a bit geeky but it does provide a fun way to promote the confident use of a GPS. You will still need a map and a compass and you can combine it with a run :blink: to make it more interesting. Alternatively children love it, and enjoy the challenge of finding the cache and what’s inside, so take them along and teach them some map reading along the way.

Go on try it. You might enjoy it. ""

I'm just wondering how long it will take for an article to turn up in my trade magazine - "Inside Housing" !!!!!!

:ph34r:

Well As I work in a Housing ALMO, and in work IT, and i'm a Cacher maybe I should submit one to the editor :blink:

Milton (aka moote)

I know you do Milton... I do the same job as Vikki Jones, but for Ellesmere Port and Neston BC!!!

There's a couple of new caches just downt the road from my office, and if I wasn't off sick with a horrid chest infection I'm sure I'd have been there at lunch time!!