[geo] Notify: Email Of Cache Listing Published

PDOP's

I've noticed that happening a few times.  Normally it will show up in a few minutes.

Hmmm. From the e

Sent  Saturday, October 1, 2005 0:20 am
and
Log Date: 9/30/2005 Published
Still shows as not being approved so something else must be going on here.

That should generate a "Retract Listing" email though, shouldn't it? I have that checked on my Insta-Notify subscriptions and have yet to see one even though a few caches have shown up as not yet approved. The only two I have checked are the publish and retract boxes.

Yes, retract listing should generate a notification. What you might be seeing is the web site caching web pages (which it does to help performance) - the cache might be approved, but the unapproved status is what is cached. Normally refreshing your browser corrects this. If it continues to show up as unapproved, then there might be another issue.

Yes, retract listing should generate a notification.

Didn't receive that

What you might be seeing is the web site caching web pages (which it does to help performance) - the cache might be approved, but the unapproved status is what is cached.  Normally refreshing your browser corrects this. .

Have tried refreshing several times but no change. It's also not showing up in a search for unfound caches in my area. What do you see?

If it continues to show up as unapproved, then there might be another issue

Must be.

I had that happen with a new cache. I tried refreshing it for a while, but it never came up as approved. A bit later the cache owner posted a note about it being approved in our local forum. I checked and it had been posted.

Not sure what the issue was with that one, but it's the only time I've seen it.

Yes, retract listing should generate a notification.

Didn't receive that

What you might be seeing is the web site caching web pages (which it does to help performance) - the cache might be approved, but the unapproved status is what is cached.  Normally refreshing your browser corrects this. .

Have tried refreshing several times but no change. It's also not showing up in a search for unfound caches in my area. What do you see?

If it continues to show up as unapproved, then there might be another issue

Must be.

Did you check to box to receive retraction notices?

Did you check to box to receive retraction notices?

Had to double check that and no I had not ticked that check box which explains why I didn't receive the retraction notice. Thanks.

Mystery solved. And all this time, I thought it was ol' man Higgens, trying to scare people away from the abandoned amusement park while he searched for the hidden treasure. I'll never forget his last words, before the police dragged him away, "I would have found it too, if it weren't for those dang, meddling kids!"

HDOP, in less opaque terms - and with no inside information at all about this specific case - the "withdraw" thing appears to be reserved for "oopsie" listings - things that were approved but that probably shouldn't have been. They're relatively uncommon.

For example, if I submit a cache that's under an interstate, over a railroad track, and filled with heroin laced stamps, but it gets approved (work with me - I'm exaggerating for a reason) there are three ways to "undo" it.

A) Temp disable it - that won't work in this case becuase I, the evil cache placer, have the power to un-disable it.

B ) Archive it - but that won't work in this case because you can look at my profile or guess the GC# and get the coords of the evil box.

C ) Retract the listing - which actually will work here as it returns the cache to it's pre-approved state, ensuring that others can't find the coords for the end of the rainbow.

Less contrived examples could include where the placer claimed to have landowner permission but did not.

There may be another reason as well. It could just be something that the owner needs to fix on the cache page, but it shouldn't be viewable until the fix is made. If it's just disabled, people can still see it and even log it. If it's archived, the owner is locked out from making any changes, so they're unable to make the fix. So the Retract option takes it out of public view, but still gives the owner the ability to edit the page.