Walkin' San Diego

robinego

Hey all,

I'm heading down to SD for the 3 day 60 mile walk in October. I'm sure you San Diegans are aware of the walk (and subsequent traffic 4000 walkers create). This being my 4th walk, I've become somewhat familiar with the route once I'm on it, but cannot remember street names when it comes time to download the caches prior. Do any of you happen to remember seeing hordes of walkers last year and where?

We start at the fairgrounds and end at the Embarcadero. Usually uphill :ph34r: and inland the first day, downhill to the ocean through La Jolla the 2nd day :) and to the Embarcadero the 3rd. We have camped at Mira Mesa College and the beach by a Fat (Phat) boys cache.

Unfortunately/fortunately, walkers are not given route details until the morning of that days walk so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks tons, -R-

(It's Robinego as in San Di...) :ph34r:

If they do the same route, then they hike up hill on Sorrento Valley BLVD, from W to E. I'm not sure how far, tho. They were on the S side of the rd but there are a couple caches on the N side. One you could reach from the sidewalk, if you can find/see it. The other is just down a little trail. Farther E, if the hike goes E of Camino Santa Fe, there is another one that is on the S side of the rd. Again, along the sidewalk.

I'm just curious how you plan on doing those caches without the other walkers wondering what you're doing. :):lol:

Good luck with your walk. :)

UGH...I remember only too well a road that I have come to know only as cardiac hill. It starts flat and as your eye wanders up and to the left, you realize how much trouble you're about to be in. It had an area just at the base of the hilly portion that had a trail parking lot. 2 years ago, we had a lunch stop there so it's a pretty big parking lot. Does this sound like the same road?

As far as other walkers knowing what I'm doing, they would assume I couldn't wait the additional mile to the next pit stop and took off for the bushes. Nothing new for a long distance walker. Gotta love that Gatorade...

I may just d/l a query for the whole area and hope I can organize a small cheat sheet since I don't do paperless caching and fanny packs limit what you can carry. Would love to find a bug hotel for the 5 or 6 bugs I'm bringing down from Wa state, that or someone could possibly swing by and pick them up, I'd be willing to pay someone off with a coin from my collection...