Placement Near Multi Cache

vulture19

First, I searched for this topic, but did not come up with the right keywords.

I just had a cache archived becasue it was less than 400 feet from a part of a multi cache.

I went to great pains to keep this more than .1 miles from other nearby caches, but how am I supposed to know where the unpublished stages of a multi cache are located? I generally avoid multi's because I am TERRIBLE at finding micros in the woods.

Also, is this fair? If someone places a 20 stage micro in a park, wouldn't that preclude, or at least make extremely difficult, everyone else from placing a cache?

First, I searched for this topic, but did not come up with the right keywords.

I just had a cache archived becasue it was less than 400 feet from a part of a multi cache.

I went to great pains to keep this more than .1 miles from other nearby caches, but how am I supposed to know where the unpublished stages of a multi cache are located? I generally avoid multi's because I am TERRIBLE at finding micros in the woods.

Not all multi's are micros in the woods, so if you want to place a cache in a park that has a multi, go ahead and do the multi. I suck at puzzles, so I'd probably just skip the park or go ahead and place it and move the cache if needed. No big deal. In your case you only have about 100' to move it, so find out from the reviewer if they can tell you which direction would be best to move it.

Also, is this fair? If someone places a 20 stage micro in a park, wouldn't that preclude, or at least make extremely difficult,  everyone else from placing a cache?

Well, hiding a cache is kind of a first come, first served basis. If someone can maintain 20 stages, then wouldn't really be an issue. There are larger than 20 stage multis out there, but not quite sure how rare they are.

Good luck. :blink:

If there was a 20 Stage Multi in a little park, no one would find it.

If one part got muggled, they would probably give up and archive it.

You may want to PM the owner of the multi-cache you are referring to and maybe they will release the coordinates to the stage you were too close to. If the problem ever occurs again that stages are too close to a part of a multi, usually the owner have no problem giving you the coordinates as a reference point.

Cachers are honest people, and generally don't give you a hard time.

When I am planning a cache that will require some work, I reserve the coordinates by making the cache page and asking the reviewer to check the coords, but not activate it. Then when it is final, I make it active and get a final review.

But you have correctly pointed out a problem with cache placement. You can't know where stagest of a multi are until you ask gc.com to review your site.

BTW, are there any restrictions on how distant the stages of a multi can be? I am giving thought to a multi scattered around the county to take the seeker to the various churches around here. There are lots of old, picturesque or just plain unusual churches in this county. It would make a nice day trip to visit a number of them. Would that be too far apart?

But you have correctly pointed out a problem with cache placement. You can't know where stagest of a multi are until you ask gc.com to review your site.

Uhhhh, wrong, there is another way. You can FIND THE CACHE. I would never dream of hiding a cache in a park without first finding all the other caches, including the puzzles and multis. I would want mine to "fit" with the others, both in terms of not violating the cache saturation rule, but also aesthetically: does my cache show the visitor something different, and does it complement the existing caches rather than interfere with them?

But you have correctly pointed out a problem with cache placement.  You can't know where stagest of a multi are until you ask gc.com to review your site.

Uhhhh, wrong, there is another way. You can FIND THE CACHE. I would never dream of hiding a cache in a park without first finding all the other caches, including the puzzles and multis. I would want mine to "fit" with the others, both in terms of not violating the cache saturation rule, but also aesthetically: does my cache show the visitor something different, and does it complement the existing caches rather than interfere with them?

Ok, come to Frederick, MD and see if you can figure out where to put your cache near Arcane Tetralogy. It might take you awhile. Or you could just give up placing a cache anywhere inside a 20 acre park.

Or there are a few caches in the Psycho Urban Cache (PUC) series that I will *never* attempt. You don't even know that they are in parks! :blink:

I guess it doesn't matter. The website is down, so I can't verify this is not so, but I would strongly suggest that the word Guideline in Guidelines for placing a cache be changed to Rules, and that if it is not mentioned already (and I really seem to think that it isn't), the notation that a cache can't be placed within .1 mile of a stage of an existing multi cache be added. Quite frankly, it will save a lot of wasted time. I still disagree with it, however, as that means that a multicache with 5 stages "virtually owns" 1.5 square miles of real estate, assuming that the multi must follow the guidelines, er, rules that they can't be within .1 miles of each other.

If it is not mentioned already (and I really seem to think that it isn't), the notation that a cache can't be placed within .1 mile of a stage of an existing multi cache be added. Quite frankly, it will save a lot of wasted time. I still disagree with it, however, as that means that a multicache with 5 stages "virtually owns" 1.5 square miles of real estate, assuming that the multi must follow the guidelines, er, rules that they can't be within .1 miles of each other.

Hello,

This clarification is already under consideration for inclusion in the next update to the Guidelines, which ought to be published at the time when Waymarking.com is fully rolled out, and new virtual, webcam and earthcache submissions will no longer be accepted at Geocaching.com.

In the meantime, please refer to my post here in the FAQ thread at the top of the "Getting Started" forum for a further official explanation of this aspect of the Cache Saturation Guideline. There you will see that stages of a multicache can be less than .1 miles from other stages of the same multicache.

I would strongly suggest that the word Guideline in Guidelines for placing a cache be changed to Rules

Well, then that would take away the reviewers' latitude to make exceptions. The typical examples for granting an exception include two caches that are at the top and bottom of a cliff, or on opposite sides of a river with no bridge nearby.

I also have had a problem when trying to place a cache when there are coordinates for a puzzle cache. You know the ones were the pages say the cache is no were near the posted coordinates, in some cases these caches have been far beyond the .10 mile requirement, because the coordiantes that you are not required to go to for any reason are were they are no one can place a cache withing 500 feet of a location were there is not even a cach placed. How stupid is that :blink:

THe on time I asked a reviewer for help in a cache placment was maybe 9 months ago, I am still waiting for a reply. :D

BTW, I am not good with puzzles, I printed this cache puzzle out 6 months ago and have not figured it out. :blink:

As far as parts of a multi being to close to a cache, being .10 miles from any part of a multi is to restrictive. could see 250 feet but .10 miles :blink:

Edited by JohnnyVegas
Also, is this fair? If someone places a 20 stage micro in a park, wouldn't that preclude, or at least make extremely difficult, everyone else from placing a cache?

I would question the sanity of anyone who would place a 20 part cache, One of my first multis had 7 parts, what a maintaince nightmatre that was, I soon cut it down in size. Besides not many peole do long micros, I will do a up to a four part one, but that is my limit, if the number of stages are not listed I will not even start to look for it.

I would question the sanity of anyone who would place a 20 part cache, One of my first multis had 7 parts, what a maintaince nightmatre that was, I soon cut it down in size. Besides not many peole do long micros, I will do a up to a four part one, but that is my limit, if the number of stages are not listed I will not even start to look for it.

OK, 20 stages may be a bit extreme for an example. Earlier, I posted that a 5 stage cache spaced .1 miles apart gobbles up 1.5 sqaure miles. Of course, after rechecking my math, that, too, was an exaggeration, as it takes up .15 square miles.

IAC, rules are rules. I'm closing this topic.