Garmin Legend Users

cad-guy

when using the garmin legend, I notice that while moving the direction arrow works great, but as you slow down, it seems to get jumpy. Is that how yours works? Anyway, lets say I am close to a geocache. Should I stop and let the arrow point me in the right direction, or do I keep going, get close and then start looking for the cache?

Just curious on how others do it. Any help you guys can give me will be greatly apprecitated.

I don't know if that's specific to any model or manufacturer. My Geko 201 does the same thing all the time. When it does, I back up quite a bit, get my bearing, and start walking briskly, even walking past where it leads me just to ensure I don't slow down. I then do the same from a couple other spots to nail down a general area to begin my search. Lazy Girl's triangulation I guess. It lets me get a general idea of where ground zero might be and then I search outward.

My Legend C has only done the jumping around bit on a couple caches. My Geko does it on just about every one. (Especially under heavy tree cover)

You have to be moving for the gps to know where you are in relation to the waypoint. Since we all tend to slow down near the cache site, yes the arrow will get jumpy and the gps can't really pick the exact spot when that close to it. It floats around.

Sometime when it's tough to find the likely cache site, I'll walk about 100 feet away and walk quickly and steadly back.

Edit: spelling and clarification.

Edited by BlueDeuce

That's why you should have bought a unit like the eTrex Vista, Vista C or Geko 301. The electromagnetic compass can kick in, and take over the bearing determination, when you go slow.

When I look for a cache, I turn on the magnetic compass, then let the Vista stay put in the same position, while I go checking where it points to. If it says 5 meters to the north, I start looking there. Now and then I go back, to check if reception of another satellite or something has boosted accuracy. If it has, it may now now that 6 meters NW is better, so I go look around there.

Much better than walking back and forth, trying to get the arrow to show the proper way, if you have no magnetic compass.

When you don't have such a unit, number matching is usually more efficient.

just to sum up, heres what I think:

get a good bearing on the cache using the arrow until I am about 20-30' away. After that, start using the numeric distance from the cache to make sure I am going in the correct direction. Within 10 feet or so, start looking.

Does that sound about right to everyone?

Mike

Here is what is going on.

While your GPS is moving (you are walking etc.) it can compare your last position to your present position and see which way you are going and use that information to point the arrow the right way.

When you stop or slow down too much the GPS error (10-20' typically) overtakes your last position and the error controls which way the arrow points. Since the error is more or less random noise (not litterly true but close enough) the arrow starts to get erratic.

If you absolutly want to find "Zero" on your GPS once you are at the point the arros doesn't work start using the distance to waypoint reading to zero in on ground zero. How you do that has been nicknamed the drunke bee walk or the hula dance.

For finding the cache though when you hit 20' or so start looking or the people you are with will find it while you are trying to zero out. With a little practice you can walk up to less than 10' with your GPS.

Disclaimer: I made all of that up. It just seems like it's how it works.