Flying With Your Gpsr

2ofHis

We are planning a trip to Israel next spring. I wonder, with the heightened airline security, is it wise for me to take our GPSr along? Would it be best to pack it in the checked baggage, our carry-on, in my pocket, or leave it at home and buy one there? Any thoughts?

We just flew to boston and back. We had our GPS receivers in our carry-ons. It was no problem at least in this country. The captain and flight attendants on Delta even let us fire up the GPS units in flight, but the plane was too shielded to get a fix. I sure wanted to see where we were and how fast we were going!

- T of TandS

We flew to Egypt from UK in July and didn't have a problem carrying the GPS. We were able to use it during the flight by holding it against the window and it made for the best flight we've ever had as we could identify exactly where we were. We were lucky enough to have a perfectly clear view so we could identify every lake and town.

We are planning a trip to Israel next spring. I wonder, with the heightened airline security, is it wise for me to take our GPSr along? Would it be best to pack it in the checked baggage, our carry-on, in my pocket, or leave it at home and buy one there? Any thoughts?

I fly up to twice a week most weeks. In my laptop bag is usually: laptop, GPSr, PDA, cell phone, digital camera and all the associated patch cords/recharge cords. Shouldn't be a problem as a carry on. As for using it in-flight, that changes with each and every airline. It's best to ask the flight attendant who will probably then check with the pilot. I've gotten yes's and no's. Try to get a window seat for best reception.

Would it be best to pack it in the checked baggage...

Don't put anything of value in your checked baggage.

I agree, never put anything of value in check laugage. Jewlery, electronics and cameras if lost will not be replaced by the airline. It's on the fine print that no one ever reads.

I have used my GPS on planes quite a bit, but you have to have a window seat and you have to hold the GPS by the window.

:D Yes, take it with you in your carryon and try to hold it up against a window. Remember though, if you don't get a signal for it to track in flight, when you get on the ground in Isreal, you will need to let it bake outside for 30 minutes to get reoriented to the satellites in that part of the world. Best of luck on your trip.

I've taken mine in my backpack on lots of flights within the states and to Canada, Finland, England, Germany... Never had a problem with it security. They sometimes give it a second look when I'm one of the lucky ones to have my bag gone through but most TSA people know what it is.

Keep your GPS in your carry-on bag. You are taking a carry-on bag I hope? Just like a day pack, I would hate to get to the final destination and your bag is in Kalamazoo. Theft from luggage is a big problem, keep anything of value with you including your keys and medication. Check with your travel agent, they do things a little diffrent overseas.

just read an article in new scientist whic hquestions safety. they suggest that each individual item not a problem but the combination of several things gps included, could cause problems on some planes. older ones being worse. the suggestio being safe than sorry. finding out that the plane you are on is susseptable to interference by crashing at full speed........