Cache Idea, Thoughts?

Pelamore

I was thinking, driving between caches. What if I hide a bunch of small Caches with unique items or cash (small amount). Each cache is single use. I place a sealed card in normal caches that gives coords/clues to the cache. Then the person finds it, and gets the prize.

Although Geocaching seems to be about the log and multiple people finding the same spot. These would be more a single shot thing. One person finds, and no one else ever will.

I don't see this as a Geocaching.com posted thing, simply because it's single use. More a Bonus for the person finding the card and the cache.

Is this allowed? Does it sound fun? Suggestions? Ideas?

A one time bonus cache for the FTF is something I've seen done. There's also a cacher who will place a one time bonus cache around caches he's done - he leaves the coords in the logbook, the next finder takes them, finds the cache and the bonus. He tends to leave very nice items, so mention in his on-line log of placing a bonus means the race is on.

I was thinking, driving between caches. What if I hide a bunch of small Caches with unique items or cash (small amount). Each cache is single use.

Is this allowed?

It's been done, and probably still is. Such caches will not be listed at this site, though.

From the Guidelines:

When you report a cache on the Geocaching.com web site, geocachers should (and will) expect the cache to be there for a realistic and extended period of time. Therefore, caches that have the goal to move (“traveling caches”), or temporary caches (caches hidden for less than 3 months or for events) most likely will not be listed.

I knew that since it wouldn't be on Geocaching.com people wouldn't get a"Find" added to there count. I wasn't, and still am not, sure how important those counts are to people. Is it the find, or the hunt?

If you found a vacuum sealed card with Coords to a non-geocaching.com cache, would you guys hunt it? Would you feel good that you and only you ever will find it, or would the victory be hollow since you had nowhere to display your success?

I knew that since it wouldn't be on Geocaching.com people wouldn't get a"Find" added to there count. I wasn't, and still am not, sure how important those counts are to people. Is it the find, or the hunt?

Well, speaking from a new-guy perspective, it's neat to watch the count go up but it's the hunt that's fun.

If you found a vacuum sealed card with Coords to a non-geocaching.com cache, would you guys hunt it? Would you feel good that you and only you ever will find it, or would the victory be hollow since you had nowhere to display your success?

For me, I'd hunt it, enjoy it, and mention it in the log when I logged the cache where I found the card. It wouldn't bother me that it didn't up the 'found' count.

But, hey, whadda I know, I'm new.

MissippiSlim

We've done a modified version of the "seed" cache idea. Ocasionally, we'll hide a completely camo'd, stocked, ready to go cache container AT or NEAR one of our caches. The finder gets to take to new cache container, provided they place it in the near future, and usually nearby (15 mile radius or so).

It's a nice prize, and it created another cache for everyone to find in the future.