Getting Landowner's Permission

I have finally spotted a location (or two) to place a cache - at long last! When Hubby is back from playing soldiers I am going to cart him off to look at the areas in more detail so we can find actual hiding spots at the locations. However I would like some guidance as to how to ask the landowners for permission - I have no idea what to write - I shall be sending a letter - and I want to put it in such a way that they won't say no!

Any guidance would be much appreciated - and will assist placing 2 more caches in a cache desert!

Edited by Andys101 & Miss Redfrock

My usual letter is along the lines of the following, with a copy of the Geocaching info leaflet (available for download as a PDF from GC.com)...

I am writing to you with regard to your land near <wherever>.

Currently I take part in an activity called Geocaching. In case you are unfamiliar with this activity, I have enclosed a leaflet which provides some more information.

Within the UK, geocaches are very often placed in areas such as National Parks or on common access land, although cache setters may also seek to place caches elsewhere. In all cases, caches are only placed provided that the consent of the landowner can be obtained. A cache is typically a small container (such as a Tupperware box) containing a log book and a number of ‘trinkets’ for swapping by cache finders.

Geocachers are very careful to respect the environment and the rights of the landowner. For example, seeking permission from landowners, rules such as never digging to place a cache, and initiatives such as “Cache In, Trash Out” whereby cache hunters are encouraged to collect any litter which they find in the area around the cache.

Whilst walking in <wherever> recently, I spotted a site which I thought would make a good site for a cache. Therefore, I am seeking your permission to place a cache there. Whilst placing a cache here may encourage more people to visit the area, I do not believe that any increase in activity would be detrimental to the area – a cache may be visited once every few weeks (or even once every few months).

I would be most grateful if you could grant me permission. If you require any further information, then you may contact me either at the above address, or by telephone on <whatever>.

Many thanks for your time. I look forward to hearing from you.