Mix Cds As Cache Goodies?

Hippolyte

Just wanted to get the community’s opinion on this one.

I picked up some of those credit card CD-Rs and made some mixes for use in

Caches as swage. I found no rules against this but thought it would be good to ask.

I figure that only giving one song from a particular artist it will encourage

cachers to check out the full albums.

Thanks in advance for your advice

-Hippolyte

:D

I think that in theory it is probably not legal to do. Practice is another matter. (Most record companies are evil, and the artist gets screwed in the end.)

Putting one song each and identifying it (the artist and album) would be a good thing, and artists would probably like it.

But what if each of the songs are from the so-called "top 40" (or what ever list). Then a major record label might bash down your front door and try to haul you off by the hair. ;)

Anyway, if you are putting *real* musicians on there (the other 95% who aren't "mega stars"), you are probably doing them a service.

I'll add just a bit of a general caution about CDs in caches. Over the past summer I have come across 3 caches with CDs in them that had been cracked into pieces. Seems cachers aren't that careful when jamming stuff back into containers and broken CDs can be sharp, expecially when you don't see the bits (my scarred hands can attest to that). Maybe make sure the CD is in a container or something to contain the broken pieces (if that unfortunately happens) rather than just the CD themselves as the cachers at these 3 caches had done.

JD of JDandDD

Placing loose CDs in a cache seems not very well thought. Even not counting the risks of them breaking, what are the odds of them not getting scratched? CDs can even develop mold if left for long in a humid environment.

As for making mix CDs and leaving them in caches (in a case or plastic enveloppe), it`s OK as long as you have the permision of all the copyright owners :D You wouldn`t want to put illegal stuff in a cache...

Edited by The red-haired witch
I was going to put them in little Altoids tin containers (seeing as their card CDs).

And most the bands I'll be pimping with this swag probably could not afford a lawyer.

A true artist's primary concern should be exposure anyways. :laughing:

Be that as it may, creating and distributing compilation CDs or DVDs often violate copyright laws, even if no money exchanges hands.

If you want to be legal and are willing to put in the effort to do so, seek out music (or software or images or whatever you eish to share) that the copyright holders have explicitly given permission for general distribution.

Ron/yumitori