New Garmin!

bowyorang

I've had mine for almost a month now. It's everything I hoped for and more. I learn something new everyday. For a novice and new GPSr user this thing is amazing and easy to use. I know I must look like a dork to my neighbors standing outside stareing at it, pushing little buttons and not talking to anyone. Oh well, that's how I learn. You will love it.

I've had mine for almost a month now. It's everything I hoped for and more. I learn something new everyday.  For a novice and new GPSr user this thing is amazing and easy to use. I know I must look like a dork to my neighbors standing outside stareing at it, pushing little buttons and not talking to anyone. Oh well, that's how I learn. You will love it.

My neighbors have been giving me a hard time. "Hey, don't you need your GPS thingie to find that mailbox?" It's good natured fun and I laugh with them. They must really wonder when I stand in the driveway making two very slow turns to recalibrate my compass though. :D

This won't be my first gps, but I have always had a blast learning the new one's that I get.

I have previously owned a Garmin gps III+ and a Magellan Meridian Platinum. After reading A LOT about these I finally decided on this one. I know there are many differant ones that people are going to be partial to....but I think for what I want, this will be the shnitz.

Can anyone tell me something though? I know from reading that even though it comes with a base map I will probably need something else to maximize it's potential. I've been reading about the differant programs for road and topo maps and was wondering if someone that is familiar with these could give me a suggestion. I will be mainly using this for geocaching and hunting. What would be the pos. and neg. of each of these programs? Also, if anyone could tell me where I could run across a CHEAP copy of one or both of these I'd sure appreciate it. The cost of the unit just about put me in the dog house with the little women. :D

Thanks everyone!

Micah

They must really wonder when I stand in the driveway making two very slow turns to recalibrate my compass though. :D

They might think you're a little less crazy if you just turn the unit instead of your whole body. Took me a long time to figure that one out! ;-)

Rich Owings

www.MakeYourOwnMaps.com

www.GPStracklog.com

"We were desert mystics, my friends and I, poring over our maps as others do their holy books." - Edward Abbey

This won't be my first gps, but I have always had a blast learning the new one's that I get.

I have previously owned a Garmin gps III+ and a Magellan Meridian Platinum. After reading A LOT about these I finally decided on this one. I know there are many differant ones that people are going to be partial to....but I think for what I want, this will be the shnitz.

Can anyone tell me something though? I know from reading that even though it comes with a base map I will probably need something else to maximize it's potential. I've been reading about the differant programs for road and topo maps and was wondering if someone that is familiar with these could give me a suggestion. I will be mainly using this for geocaching and hunting. What would be the pos. and neg. of each of these programs? Also, if anyone could tell me where I could run across a CHEAP copy of one or both of these I'd sure appreciate it. The cost of the unit just about put me in the dog house with the little women. smile.gif

Thanks everyone!

Micah

If you are going to just use the maps for huntingand just caching, go for the topo. It has steams and even some well established trails along with contour lines. If you want to have auto- routing you have to use City Select. City Select is better in well populated areas. Its shows town parks, but lacks in showing some steams.

I use City Select for town caches and topo for deep woods caches that are back old logging roads ect. that don't show up in City select.

E-Mail me if you have more questions.