Have Notebook...will Travel.

tabulator32

I know PDA apps have been discussed extensively and I am simply amazed at the ingenuity and usefullness of some of those programs.

I wonder if anyone uses their laptop while out in the field and how they might use it for caching and other GPS-related "fun stuff".

Does anyone cache while traveling and then hunt down a Starbucks or an unsecure wifi connection to log their finds online?

Does anyone go to Google Maps and compare the images to the surounding area before hiking out to the cache (or a USGS volunteer's map quadrant)?

I'm just curious how others may utilize a laptop in the field with their caching and other GPS-related excursions.

;)

I just started doing the laptop thing last week. I use GSAK with PQs updated the day before a trip. I export the waypints to streets and trips from GSAK and then I look for caches along the route I plan to take. Each cache I plan to get I put a user flag on in GSAK and then export a new GPX file from GSAK to load into USAPhotoMaps which I use to navigate to the best parking spot.

All of the starbucks in the area I cache use the TMobile Hot Spot and I am not willing to pay so I usually end up at the public librarys and park right next to the door, log the cache and drive off.