Multi Tool As Swag?

Laughing Bird

I find it amazing how many people think the guidlines do not apply to them when it comes to what is allowed for swag.

I find it amazing how many people try to exaggerate a guideline into a universally applicable, unquestionable LAW.

Great, so someone at Groundspeak thought about it for a moment and put together your all so loved and holy guideline. So what? Where is your criticism? Where is your patriotism? Where is your dignity as a human being, free to make your own choice?

Do I (as a German and not even yet immigrant alien) have to remind you about Theodore Roosevelt saying: "To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public."? I hope not!

Make up your own mind. If you find rules or laws to be obstacles to good reasoning, don't be afraid to question them. After all, to think for yourself is the price to pay for living in a democracy. And you don't want to give up that, do you?

Jan

I think you're confusing a company that makes rules for a game with a sovereign government.

Make up your own mind. If you find rules or laws to be obstacles to good reasoning, don't be afraid to question them. After all, to think for yourself is the price to pay for living in a democracy. And you don't want to give up that, do you?

The change to the guidelines wasn't just made 'after a moment's thought' and isn't due to some decision made in a vacuum. Jeremy Irish didn't wake up one morning and think, 'Hmmm. What should I ban today?' It occurred in direct response to land managers banning caching due to knives being found in containers.

So put yourself in Jeremy's place. What would you do? Ignore them? Tell the land managers that they are twits? Organize a picket of the parks office? Quote Teddy Roosevelt to them? Do you think any of that would actually impress the people who have ultimate say over whether or not we can continue to place containers on the public lands they manage? When those folks speak it is the law, or might as well be.

I don't like the restriction. I still have a brand-new pocket knife still in its packaging that one of these days I'll remember to take to an event and put it up as a prize for an adult cacher. But I won't be putting it in a cache now. I don't like the restriction, but I understand the reason it exists and I understand the politics behind the decision to change the guidelines.

So if you want to stand up for your rights, more power to you. But please don't screw up my recreational activities in the process, when all that's at stake is what dollar store item I can place in a piece of tupperware. Besides, I personally think there's much more important battles...

Fer Cryin' Out Loud!

Let's not get too carried away with PC nonsense here.....a multi-tool which happens to include a knife (think of it as being an extremely useful tool rather than a "weapon" since most things found in the toolchest could be placed in the latter category) is hardly in the same category as: ammo, explosives, fireworks, etc. If you're afraid Junior will hurt himself, tell him to pick up the McToy instead.

Amen! Let's not get anal about a multi-tool! Jeesh!