Google Maps

I have no stock in google or other ulterior motives, but thought cachers would like to check out http://maps.google.com/.

At first I was disappointed because I couldn't see a way to search for GPS coords., but one day I just tried typing in Nxx yy.yyy Wxx yy.yyy to see what would happen.

the site automatically converted to its preferred format (xx.xxxx -yy.yyyy) and returned a map. You can zoom, pan, etc. like other map sites. You can also view an overhead satellite image of the spot, or a hybrid that superimposes street names on top of the satellite image.

Check it out soon if you're interested; I read today that TPTB want to shut it down, since it might help terrorists case a target.

treedweller

Yea, I don't want to make fun, but, we've been google eyed for that for months. Pun intended.

I figured plenty of people here knew about this, but I wasn't sure how obvious it was that you could enter lat/long and get a map. Other sites (well, mapquest) have a specific button/search window for that. Plus, there's always someone who hasn't heard about the latest thing. Hell, there are people out there who still haven't heard of geocaching, if you can imagine! :laughing:

k

I LOVE Google Earth for caching! I especially like the aerial photo option (also available on Google Maps) - handy for park caches because you can often see the trails. Google Earth will also let you mark various points, handy when you're planning on hitting several caches within an area. Especially handy when someone else is driving, so you don't have to, say, use the GPSr to navigate to the next cache as we did our first few times out <_<

Edited by Team WorldPeaceTurtle
Psssst.

Look on every cache page under "online maps".

There's a link to google maps.

Good Golly Miss Molly - I've been waiting and watching (apparently not very closely, eh?) for GC.com to add Google Maps to the cache page! Yipee!

(Now, if only Google Maps would hurry up and get newer, clearer images for some of the blocks of areas around me.)

I'm so glad I read the forums. I'd be completely lost without you folks.

Good Golly Miss Molly - I've been waiting and watching (apparently not very closely, eh?) for GC.com to add Google Maps to the cache page!  Yipee! 

If you use Mozilla, you can add a link on all you gc.com pages to show the map in Google Earth, using Greasemonky scripts.

The one at http://files.dixo.net/GeocachingMapLinker.user.js is the one I use, works great.