Logging Requirements On A Waymark

If anybody happens to find examples of waymarks which have a specific logging requirement, can you post them here? I'd like to see how they are presented.

Note that I'm not looking for examples of categories which have a requirement for adding a waymark, but waymarks which have some criteria for actually logging a visit.

Thanks!

If anybody happens to find examples of waymarks which have a specific logging requirement, can you post them here? I'd like to see how they are presented.

Note that I'm not looking for examples of categories which have a requirement for adding a waymark, but waymarks which have some criteria for actually logging a visit.

Thanks!

Many of them DO have requirements. Most I have found are a photo. Many do NOT. Waymarks are being created just like a cache log. "I was here first." No thought was given to the fact that others would log a visit. I am very guilty of that. I am done with forums for a while I go revise all of my waymarks to require a photo (and post my own photos more visibly to set a good example).

Thanks!

Here's mine for the McDonald's category:

To log this "WayMac", you must have eaten at this particular location.  Please enter the items you ordered from this visit in the log description.

Also, if there isn't already a picture listed for the location, it'd certainly be nice of you to include one!

Thanks for the examples. Generally speaking, just adding a line or two on the waymark page stating the requirement seems to be what people are doing so far. And the requirements seem pretty easy.

The idea of adding logging requirements to a waymark hadn't actually occurred to me until I read this discussion about benchmarks.

I'm not sure that a logging requirement is something I would add to my own waymarks. Maybe yes, maybe no. I guess I've got to give this some more thought.

Just out of curiosity, for those who do have logging requirements on their waymarks, why did you add the requirement, and what do you plan to do if somebody logs their visit without meeting your stated requirement? :lol:

Same thing I do with caches: if they cant prove they are there, then I delete the log. I offer to help them if they cant post a photo, if they can answer a back up question or something like that. All Im looking for is proof that they were there.

I added the requirement because it is a game, and to me that means more than just logging "I was here" on my listing.

Edited by Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking

Hrm.. that's interesting. I assumed that the requirements for visiting a waymark were the same for "listing" it. I thought the only difference was that if I'm the first person, I get to list it (seems to be a competition in the making, instead of FTF it'll be who listed the waymark). I assumed that people that visited it after me would be required to follow the same requirement (in the case of the one waymark I've listed so far, to post a picture at the location with the gps and provide coordinates).

Can someone give an example of where you'd have different requirements that those needed to "list" a waymark?

sd (going back to re-read this thread as well..., lots of interesting stuff in here)

Hrm.. that's interesting.  I assumed that the requirements for visiting a waymark were the same for "listing" it.

It doesn't appear that that's the intent.

The way things are currently set up, the requirements for listing (or "recording", as it's called on the Waymarking.com page) a waymark don't show up on the page where you log a visit to an existing waymark. So without searching around, you don't even know what the "recording" requirements for waymarks in this category are.

Unless somebody specifically mentions these requirements on their own waymark page.

edit: wording

Edited by cache_test_dummies

Well that's interesting. I haven't attempted to log any visits - since there aren't very many waymarks recorded in my state (the one I've submitted may well be the first in the state).

I personally would want all of the "visit" logs on any waymarks "recorded" under one of my categories to have the same requirements. Hopefully there will be a way to implement this.

It shouldn't be that difficult to put another option in the category creation process that says "All visits must meet recording guidelines" or "Waymarkers my create their own guidelines" or any other viable options people may think up.

sd

Ok, I finally finished cleaning mine up. Here is a typical example. I hope my manager bootron doesn't object to my stealing his copy and adding some of my own. I also included a note on multiple logging which is supposedly going to be allowed.

Hmm. There may be a bit of confusion here. When you asked about what info to place in the description, I thought you were talking about doing so as a category owner, not as a waymark poster. It is the category manager who sets up the rules for how both waymarks AND logs are posted in his/her category. You can see this in action on the McDonald's category when you attempt to post a log for any of the mcdonald's that are presently in the system. The copy you borrowed from me is actually already in place when people try to visit your waymark, as it runs across the board for all posted McDonald's.

In short: each category manager has a field that allows him to create the rules for the waymarks AND the logs. This way they are consistent for all waymarks within the category.

As a waymark poster you are only responsible for getting the information correct about your waymark. You are, in a sense, a guide for that particular spot. You are charged with the task of educating and informing about that one spot, since you are the expert for that location.

You have to remember, we've moved the tier up one level, so where a locationless cache was once in the place of a waymark, it now takes the form of a category. As a waymark poster it isn't necessary to put instructions about visiting a waymark, because they are already in place.

Hrm.. that's interesting.  I assumed that the requirements for visiting a waymark were the same for "listing" it.  I thought the only difference was that if I'm the first person, I get to list it (seems to be a competition in the making, instead of FTF it'll be who listed the waymark).  I assumed that people that visited it after me would be required to follow the same requirement (in the case of the one waymark I've listed so far, to post a picture at the location with the gps and provide coordinates).

Can someone give an example of where you'd have different requirements that those needed to "list" a waymark?

sd (going back to re-read this thread as well..., lots of interesting stuff in here)

The requirements aren't the same. The category owner sets rules for posting a waymark in his category, and he also sets different rules for visiting the waymarks that are in his category. The waymark poster's job is to act as the guide for that particular spot. The key is to put as much correct information as possible.

Hrm.. that's interesting.  I assumed that the requirements for visiting a waymark were the same for "listing" it.  I thought the only difference was that if I'm the first person, I get to list it (seems to be a competition in the making, instead of FTF it'll be who listed the waymark).  I assumed that people that visited it after me would be required to follow the same requirement (in the case of the one waymark I've listed so far, to post a picture at the location with the gps and provide coordinates).

Here's an example: My McDonald's category

Waymark posting instructions:

1. Please mark the coordinates at one of the entrances to the McDonald's. If the McDonald's is inside a mall, please mark the mall entrance closest to the restaurant.

2. Please try to come up with a name for your McDonald's that is unique, so that people don't mistake it for another McDonald's. Don't just call it "Seattle McDonald's", as there are hundreds of McDonald's that could be labeled that way. Try "Greenlake Stone Way McDonald's" or "Fairwood Petrovisky McDonald's" instead.

3. (Optional, but strongly recommended) Please upload a photo of the McDonald's so that you can see the entire building, or stand (e.g. mall McDonald's)

Waymark visiting instructions:

1. To log this "WayMac", you must have eaten at this particular location. Please enter the items you ordered from this visit in the log description.

2. Also, if there isn't already a picture listed for the location, it'd certainly be nice of you to include one!

bootron,

Thanks for the clarification. I can now see that if I try to log ANY McDonald's as a visitor, the same logging requirements statement appears at the top of the page (these being the logging requirements established by the category manager). So we have consistent (minimal) logging requirements for all of the visits to waymarks in that category (of course, the waymark guide could presumably add additional logging requirements by simply saying so on their waymark description page).

Similarly, if the category manager does NOT establish any logging requirements, none appear at the top of the waymark logging page.

In short: each category manager has a field that allows him to create the rules for the waymarks AND the logs.  This way they are consistent for all waymarks within the category.

The only thing I see that's missing here is that for somebody POSTING a waymark (a would-be Waymark Guide), they can see the POSTING requirements as specified my the category manager, but they are not shown the LOGGING requirements which each of the guide's visitors will need to adhere to when they log.

It would probably be helpful to show the guide these logging requirements on the "Add a New Waymark" page so the guide will know what his visitors will see when they log a visit.

bootron,

Thanks for the clarification. I can now see that if I try to log ANY McDonald's as a visitor, the same logging requirements statement appears at the top of the page (these being the logging requirements established by the category manager). So we have consistent (minimal) logging requirements for all of the visits to waymarks in that category (of course, the waymark guide could presumably add additional logging requirements by simply saying so on their waymark description page).

Similarly, if the category manager does NOT establish any logging requirements, none appear at the top of the waymark logging page.

In short: each category manager has a field that allows him to create the rules for the waymarks AND the logs.  This way they are consistent for all waymarks within the category.

The only thing I see that's missing here is that for somebody POSTING a waymark (a would-be Waymark Guide), they can see the POSTING requirements as specified my the category manager, but they are not shown the LOGGING requirements which each of the guide's visitors will need to adhere to when they log.

It would probably be helpful to show the guide these logging requirements on the "Add a New Waymark" page so the guide will know what his visitors will see when they log a visit.

Not a bad idea. We'll throw it around and see what comes up.

The category owner sets rules for posting a waymark in his category, and he also sets different rules for visiting the waymarks that are in his category.  The waymark poster's job is to act as the guide for that particular spot.  The key is to put as much correct information as possible.

So the category logging requirements for visits are the final word and the guide can't make the requirements stricter? I would have thought they were a minimum requirement and the guide could add additional restrictions. If the manager thought the new restrictions were too strict they could ask the guide to reduce them and, as a last resort, archive the waymark.

Back to the great analogy you posted earlier -

Geocaching.com is like a Waymark Category

Geocache is like a Waymark

Geocache Log is like a Waymark Visit (Log)

Geocaching.com sets the requirement for real caches of a physical log that must be signed. As a cache owner I can set additional requirements for logging even though most don't. But you seem to be implying that when the category manager says "No log instructions provided." then anything goes. That's not the spirit of Waymarking. :D