City Navigator Software

Like pharisee I have a copy of city select. A great bit of software that will get you to the start of the cache in any part of the country, but this is not a topo map so no good for the hiking. Having said that there is free software that will give contour lines, though not footpaths. We use our gps, a quest, to get to the start of a cache as well as caching, but also use an ordance survey map when needed as sometimes that is needed to find where a footpath starts, or converges. Useful sometimes to find out just where to park....

Note that City Select (and City Navigator) programmes can be "unlocked" to work with 2 different Garmin units.

I had a StreetPilot 3 with CN6. I used the second unlock for the software to use it with our Vista C - and it works brilliantly - for road guidance of course! So if you already have CS or CN that came with another unit, you can do the same and get maximum use out of the software.

...and if you have a friend with the software, perhaps you could persuade him to let you make use of the second unlock if they have no use for it themselves.