The Fear Of Puzzle Caches

I've placed 2 puzzle caches and I was initially disappointed in the number of finds. One has been out since January and it has, I believe, less than 10 finds.

Cube Root of 39.304 had a mechanical failure of the cache container itself, I've got to get that fixed, and 80 Feet of Waterline Nicely Making Way had other issues, issues that will clear up in about 2 to 4 weeks.

So MIT asked students to calculate the cube root of 39.304

I assume this was to be done with only a paper and pencil.

Anyone know the method?

I know how to find SQUARE roots by hand, it's a type of long division where the divisor changes with each step.

A google search turned up some kludgy ways to find roots, but I'd like

an elegant way like the long division style I mentioned. :unsure:

I had no idea so many people disliked puzzle caches. I always read the pages of the puzzles in an area I will cache in. Tonight, in fact, I am going out to try to find two local puzzle caches (The Kite and The Cache Hunter) I have been working on for many weeks. One had me furious at times, but once I had it figured out I was enjoying it. (We'll see how I feel tonight, depending on whether I find them or not.)

Other puzzles I do not even try after looking at the page. There have been a couple caches linked in this topic that are just long strings of binary numbers. I do not know what that means, and I have no interest in even trying them. I am glad those puzzles are there, because I know there are people who enjoy figuring them out, but they are just not for me. Other puzzles I have looked at and had no interest in, but I think they enrich the game.

To give some validity to my name I am planning a couple puzzle caches for some local forest preserves in which knowledge of the biology/ecology/natural history of the preserve is required to solve for the coordinates. It will be basic info. that a lot of people probably know, and everyone else can easily find. I am sure many will pass on doing the caches, but I am sure some will try them and, hopefully, enjoy them and maybe even learn a little something.

If there is one thing I have learned in these forums it is that there are almost as many different reasons people play this game as there are cachers. I am not going to try making a cache that interests everyone. If even one person appreciates a cache I place then I will be happy.

I spent all my time at The Kite and didn't find the thing. Maybe I should start ignoring puzzles...

It got me thinking though, that with some puzzles there is a large amount of error in the final coordinates if many calculations and/or coordinates were used to get them. This greatly increases the search radius, which could be a bad thing in nature preserves where you are not supposed to go far from the trail, trampling delicate wildlife. I will have to keep that in mind for my puzzles.

I spent all my time at The Kite and didn't find the thing. Maybe I should start ignoring puzzles...

Ok, that's a poor excuse. I'm sorry, but it is.

1) you didn't even log a DNF, so the owner can't check it if it's missing because he/she wont know (forgive me if you sent an email)

2) look at all the other DNFs that are there; it appears to be a very hard cache to find

3) did you confirm the coordinates (I know that's not exactly a reason, but what the heck?)

I live in an area where only puzzle caches can fill up a Pocket Query. There's a great variety of styles: math/physics, music, literature, cryptography, history, interesting facts, pure logic, etc, etc, etc. Most of them are very creative, and quite rewarding to solve regardless of difficulty.

Where do you live? I want to move there!

Okay, how's this? I'll make a puzzle cache that is a 1/1 right in the middle of town that will be obvious for geocachers with atleast 10 finds. In order to solve it, you just have to look at the page and get the coordinates, or maybe email and ask. I don't know exactly yet, but something really easy like that.

That cache could be an experiment to see just how many people will look at a puzzle cache. Even though it's a 1/1 and right in the middle of the town, they'll ignore it because it has a puzzle icon. Can any geocachers that completely ignore puzzles confirm for me that you would ignore a 1/1?

Edited by Wiz Creations

IMHO, there is a big difference between 'puzzle' caches and "trivia' caches. Trivia caches take maybe 10 minutes of Googling. Puzzle caches are brain-teasers that can take days or weeks of just staring & thinking & forgetting & thinking again...

Meanwhile. you know there are 5-6 traditional caches in that general area, and you don't want to drive all the way down there until you have coordinates for everything (including this puzzle cache) so you put it off...

...but then you finally just give up on the puzzle & go get the 'easy' traditionals.

The reason I miss a trivia puzzle caches is that I search for clumps of caches in some area, so I can do more than one in an afternoon, for example. If your 'NOT AT THESE COORDINATES!" is not relatively close to the actual coordinates, you won't show up on the map when I'm looking at a clump. And if I missed you the first time I did that clump, I might not go back there unless I had a DNF or two to try again.

That's just how *I* think...

I live in an area where only puzzle caches can fill up a Pocket Query. There's a great variety of styles: math/physics, music, literature, cryptography, history, interesting facts, pure logic, etc, etc, etc. Most of them are very creative, and quite rewarding to solve regardless of difficulty.

Okay, how's this? I'll make a puzzle cache that is a 1/1 right in the middle of town that will be obvious for geocachers with atleast 10 finds. In order to solve it, you just have to look at the page and get the coordinates, or maybe email and ask. I don't know exactly yet, but something really easy like that.

That cache could be an experiment to see just how many people will look at a puzzle cache. Even though it's a 1/1 and right in the middle of the town, they'll ignore it because it has a puzzle icon. Can any geocachers that completely ignore puzzles confirm for me that you would ignore a 1/1?

You're welcome to move here (San Francisco Bay Area), except there's one mystery/puzzle with no solution in sight: housing costs. :lol:

I can almost separate our area by puzzle zones:

1. Peninsula (closest to San Francisco): puzzles with specialized topics

2. South Bay (areas near San Jose): original puzzles, mostly self-contained

2.5. The Rat (within South Bay): cryptography - you can look up his profile.

3. East Bay (Oakland to Fremont): trivia and look-ups of many flavors

4. Livermore (near the Lawrence Laboratory): Fizzymagic and Lamneth

(You can look up their profile to learn more.)

And numerous exceptions to the above generalizations. There are also some puzzles which require solving on the field, which I like.

You'll likely stay busy solving puzzles for a very long time in this area.

You're welcome to move here (San Francisco Bay Area), except there's one mystery/puzzle with no solution in sight: housing costs. :lol:

I can almost separate our area by puzzle zones:

1. Peninsula (closest to San Francisco): puzzles with specialized topics

2. South Bay (areas near San Jose): original puzzles, mostly self-contained

2.5. The Rat (within South Bay): cryptography - you can look up his profile.

3. East Bay (Oakland to Fremont): trivia and look-ups of many flavors

4. Livermore (near the Lawrence Laboratory): Fizzymagic and Lamneth

(You can look up their profile to learn more.)

And numerous exceptions to the above generalizations. There are also some puzzles which require solving on the field, which I like.

You'll likely stay busy solving puzzles for a very long time in this area.

What's the zipcode?

This one is easy!

GCGM14

This one is awesome!

GCCE31

I would like to do this one!

GC614B

Seeing as I'm still in school, I could get this one by September (I need to relearn a little bit of math because I'm a little rusty from summer)!

GCMWDY

Same thing goes for this one.

GCA0E3

This one is kind of related to your area in particular, but with a little extra time, it wouldn't be too hard.

GCKD97

I noticed that a few seem to be related to location, and someone not familiar with the cache histories or players might have a problem (where have I seen those black snakes before?). Those puzzle types are the really annoying ones (unless you live in the area, of course)

Edited by Wiz Creations
I spent all my time at The Kite and didn't find the thing.  Maybe I should start ignoring puzzles...

1) you didn't even log a DNF, so the owner can't check it if it's missing because he/she wont know (forgive me if you sent an email)

2) look at all the other DNFs that are there; it appears to be a very hard cache to find

3) did you confirm the coordinates (I know that's not exactly a reason, but what the heck?)

I did email the owner directly. I sent him all of my coordinates and calculations, and he told me what number I have wrong, so I am recalculating. He is very friendly and willing to help people with the cache. (My family had already emailed him because there was arguement over an earlier number.) After I heard from him I posted a DNF so others could read it. (I swear to you that I posted the DNF before reading your forum post.) So, I completely agree with everything you say in your three points, and had already done it. It was just behind the scenes, where you could not see, so I understand your questioning me.

As for my comment about ignoring puzzles, that was a joke. Obviously it was, or I would not have emailed the owner for help in completing the cache. I would have just walked away. I suppose sometimes humor that would be obvious if people were speaking face-to-face can be lost when something is just typed. I know that is what those smilies are for, but for some reason that I can't explain I just hate those things and will not use them. Anyhow, I hope that explains it all.

I spent all my time at The Kite and didn't find the thing.  Maybe I should start ignoring puzzles...

I did email the owner directly. I sent him all of my coordinates and calculations, and he told me what number I have wrong, so I am recalculating. He is very friendly and willing to help people with the cache. (My family had already emailed him because there was arguement over an earlier number.) After I heard from him I posted a DNF so others could read it. (I swear to you that I posted the DNF before reading your forum post.) So, I completely agree with everything you say in your three points, and had already done it. It was just behind the scenes, where you could not see, so I understand your questioning me.

As for my comment about ignoring puzzles, that was a joke. Obviously it was, or I would not have emailed the owner for help in completing the cache. I would have just walked away. I suppose sometimes humor that would be obvious if people were speaking face-to-face can be lost when something is just typed. I know that is what those smilies are for, but for some reason that I can't explain I just hate those things and will not use them. Anyhow, I hope that explains it all.

My appologies then. I guess I just put the post before you were able to log the DNF, and I didn't want another person to ignore puzzles (didn't know it was a joke, and I went about the wrong way of confronting you). Good luck finding it.

Wiz - No need to apologize, there was no offense taken. The intended humor, while obvious in my head (as few things are, really), was not so readily apparent in the post. And, all my conversations with the cache owner have occured behind the scenes, so you could not know. I just wanted to explain because I didn't want you to think I was giving up that easily, and without even contacting the owner or posting a note or DNF.

I have a puzzle coming out that you can rightfully hate. I was thinking about just giving the puzzle, but not enough people would be able to solve it, so I gave instructions; but it's still hard (in its own way).

Here is part 1.

9c426538-ffff-4595-b6dc-cdb39b3063fd.jpg

One you have that solved, the coordinates (not of the cache) are:

N 32° 51.306 W 116° 58.754

Can you tell me where the cache is? (Note: you do not need to live here to solve it)

I like the idea someone said a while ago about creating a multi-cache with a puzzle option. I think I'll do that on my next puzzle.

That sounds like my Noodle? or Toodle? cache. Alas, presently disabled due to wandering wpts, but - recognizing that some like puzzles and some don't - a way to please both.

The trick is... in order to make the difficulty equal for both options - those who opt not to expend the neurons to solve the puzzle - have more wpts to find (i.e. the "toodlers") than the "noodlers". Point izzz - something for everybody. All can find the joy, each to their own druthers.

I like the idea someone said a while ago about creating a multi-cache with a puzzle option. I think I'll do that on my next puzzle.

That sounds like my Noodle? or Toodle? cache. Alas, presently disabled due to wandering wpts, but - recognizing that some like puzzles and some don't - a way to please both.

The trick is... in order to make the difficulty equal for both options - those who opt not to expend the neurons to solve the puzzle - have more wpts to find (i.e. the "toodlers") than the "noodlers". Point izzz - something for everybody. All can find the joy, each to their own druthers.

That's some puzzle. I actually can't even tell what I'm supposed to be doing to solve it. My guess is the "lolling there at ground zero" "pause amid the serenity" "whiff of the scenteds" and "lovely view of Rainier." I couldn't bee sure, and I'm thinking that I'm wrong. Numbers under your fingertips... :P

Nice that someone was able to log it while disabled. I guess that means that the multi-cache is the malfunction, right?

The problem as I see it and I have 4 caches out, 1 Multi, 1 park and grab,

and 1 what I thought was a puzzle (but now, after reading on the forum)

I consider a "trivia" cache..

This is it: Oil !

I have tried the specialized knowledge caches and ran into some road blocks. A couple I have done, are from people whose job is specialized in Navigation or Oil exploration. These type made specialized puzzles are very difficult for someone without that particular knowledge. I have even run into "jargon" which was used in the puzzle cache, that only the people having particular knowledge of that job would know.

Years ago, we used to do the Treasure Hunt, Road Rally games three or four times a year. I made many of the clues and realized you had to use different pes so no one would have an advantage.

If you look at my cache above, about 1/2 hour with Google and "Ask Jeeves"

gets you all the answers. But you can't do it in the field.

I am currently working on another Puzzle or Trivia cache.

So I guess with all of this, is IMHO to be careful with the puzzle or trivia

requiring specialized knowledge..

Rick

Edited by One of the Texas Vikings
I thought was a puzzle (but now, after reading on the forum)

I consider a "trivia" cache..

Trivia is still puzzle, and looking at that cache page, it would require some concentration to go through that long description (but I'd still do it).

I have even run into "jargon" which was used in the puzzle cache, that only the people having particular knowledge of that job would know.

These are the worse. I'm pretty sure that the only people who like these are those who make them, those who know what they need to know, and geniuses.

Wiz -

Looking at the puzzle in your post I was like "what the...?" and if I saw it as a puzzle cache I would move one. When I checked out the cache page though, there was just enough explanation to hook me but keep it challenging. Very cool cache. It must have taken lots of prep work too. Great work!