What's The Most You've Ever Done

I picked up a TB yesterday that is in a race with another TB and is WAAAAY behind. The most I can do to help it is to take it on a 4½ hour roadtrip (one way), and I'm considering it.

Then I wondered if I was letting myself get carried away. What the most you've ever done to help a TB reach it's goal?

(I'm mostly talking about going out of your way to do something. For example, if you found a bug that was trying to get to Europe and you took it with you on a business trip to London, that's definitely helping it along, but not really going out of your way to do so.)

Probably it was taking "D. Baxter Jr" to Fenway Park last year. (His goal is to go to major league baseball parks.) It wasn't someplace I was going to anyway; I went specifically for the TB.

Total driving and subway distance was only about 40 miles each way, but the whole excursion took several hours. After that we took him to the "Field of Dreams" baseball field in Iowa (the one where the movie was filmed). All of this traveling bestowed enough good karma that the Red Sox then won the World Series two weeks later :laughing:.

I have three TBs in the federation's deal, so I certainly appreciate that one.

I picked up a TB yesterday that is in a race with another TB and is WAAAAY behind. The most I can do to help it is to take it on a 4½ hour roadtrip (one way), and I'm considering it.

Then I wondered if I was letting myself get carried away.

4:30 implies about 250 miles one way. 250 miles solely for a TB might be getting carried away;). 250 miles for a cache run, or a full day of caching mixed with other hobbies (if any), and the TB happens to be advanced towards goal, that could be a worthwhile trip.

There's only one vote though. Press the gas pedal in the Mystery Machine for "yes".

We picked up a TB that wanted to get to it's owner's mom's house for a photo. It was only a few miles so we did the right thing. I think thought we were nuts and went back in the house for a few minutes (calling the cops maybe?), but she did come back out a few minutes later and pose for the picture. We then dropped it in another cache to continue it's travels. Had to return to the cache the following weekend since we were so caught up in our adventure we forgot to write down the number to log it. :rolleyes:

It has since returned to it's owner (there's a sad story involved in that part) and last we'd seen it was given a new mission to travel to the owner's aunt to live but it was never released again. If it ever does come back our way, we'd be honored to be the ones to take it the last few miles.

Wulf

I was looking for caches near my work when I found one that was up a pretty steep path, but contained two bugs that had been marooned for months. Both were just released; one was owned by the cacher's five year-old boy. Argh.

Took two attempts to find the cache (the whole hill was burned over since the bugs were placed), but I got them. Seems the boy would like to see his bug again soon (when you're five, a few months probably seems like an eternity). So, I took this bug on a cross-country trip to rack up some miles, took a handful of pictures, and will be handing it off to a geocacher friend I'll be seeing next week, who lives in the owner's home state and can place it there.

A quick mission, and I don't know if I'm really supposed to do things this way, but hey... at least the bug will make it home.

Cheers,

Leanne

We picked up a TB that wanted to get to it's owner's mom's house for a photo. It was only a few miles so we did the right thing. I think thought we were nuts and went back in the house for a few minutes (calling the cops maybe?), but she did come back out a few minutes later and pose for the picture.

>>(calling the cops maybe?),

Calling her kid/bug owner maybe? :rolleyes:

4:30 implies about 250 miles one way. 250 miles solely for a TB might be getting carried away;). 250 miles for a cache run, or a full day of caching mixed with other hobbies (if any), and the TB happens to be advanced towards goal, that could be a worthwhile trip.

There's only one vote though. Press the gas pedal in the Mystery Machine for "yes".

Oh yeah, I was gonna cache along the way -- that goes without saying! :P I've got 10 caches left in the Morgan's Raid series and I could finish that up, plus pick up several others, too. Now if I can just get Shaggy to co-sign on that loan I might need to pay for the gas. . . :lol:

*Daphne*

Mysteries Inc.

Oh, goodness... where to begin? I LOVE travelbugs, and will do anything I can to help them along. I take them sightseeing & post pics, move them from cache to cache, etc. All the good things a cachers is supposed to do for a bug.

It's hard to say what the MOST I have ever done for a bug would be, but I recently helped move one bug to its final destination. It was "Where's Al," a cute laminated pic of a girl and her dad from many years ago. I drove it into the Bronx to try and hand deliver it, but wouldn't you know it, he closed early that day! I wish I could've been there to see his face.