Newbie In Mi

palmtreekids

I am new to geocaching and yesterday I went out and found my first cache without much problem. Today, however, I searched for three different caches and came up empty handed on all three. I spent about an hour searching for each one, taking about 3 hours total and came home exhausted. It's starting to get frustrating and it's not making me want to continue with the sport. Can anyone give me some hints about finding caches because the coordinates I get seem right, but the hints are so vague, I end up getting lost. :D Thanks.

I remember feeling that way when I first started, too!

It would help if you said which caches you looked for (or at least which kinds of caches you looked for) that you didn't find.

In general the regular sized caches rated with a difficulty of 1 or 2 are the easiest to find when you are new. Micros can be tricky when you are new, even if they are rated easy, just because they are so small, can be in so many places, and can be in almost any kind of container.

Some hints only make sense after you find the cache, or after you have done so many caches like that one (or by that particular hider) that you understand what the hint might mean. Try reading too much into the hints, and try reading them very literally.

You get better and it gets easier quickly. When we first started, if a cache was starting to frustrate us, we walked away from it, and tried it again after we found some others by the same hider.

Hey guys have you checked out MI Geocaching Organization (Migo) Those guys are great and I am almost 100% positive there is someone in your area that would be willing to go out with you and help you out. I am in Kalamazoo so if you are out my way private message me...

It is frustrating to begin with, especially in some areas here where people have gone crazy with micros in the woods :(:( Plus there are some real tricksters here who are great at camoflouge.

Stick with it, give us a holler over at Migo and see you on the trails!

The first newbie mistake is relying too much on your GPS. The cache could be 50 or more feet from where your GPS is showing it to be. So once you get to within 50 or so feet, start looking around for the cache. If you come up empty, check your GPS again.

When you get to the area, first check in the obvious places. Consider the size of the cache and look for likely places that it could fit. If its a small, regular or large cache, look in hollow trees, crevices in rocks, alongside down trees (paying close attention to where large branches split off or spots where you can fit something under the tree).

Next try to spot any unnatural looking piles of sticks, rocks or bark. The cache will often be under them.

If you're still skunked think outside the box. It could be up in the trees, or a good camo job.

If its a micro, look in the "crotch" of standing trees and any knotholes. In more urban areas micros are often magnetic, so check any metal nearby. Guardrails, fences, playground equipment. Get on the ground and look under things. You may also have to feel around with your hands. Urban micros also are sometimes camoflaged as everyday items. Sprinkler heads, junction boxes and things like that. And of course, if there is a lamp post there, pull up the collar that is at the base. Many people use these to hide their caches.

I'm a noob in Dearborn area - if you live there send me an email you can come get lost with us... If you are having a hard time finding a cache, try triangulation:

Example - take a reading where you have a strong signal from say, east of the cache location. Mark the bearing (line of sight) and approximate distance (100ft or less), then move to another position 90 degrees from your present position. Maybe from the North. Take another bearing and distance... The points where these two lines intersect should give you a good idea where it is.

I practiced in a baseball diamond with an orange cone. It definately helps...

This weekend (Sat) Roseville is having a geocache event. It's here

I haven't quite made my 20th cache...but I have seen that my GPS (Ifindergo), even when I have a "* sat", (supposedly acurate to 1 meter working for me) seems to find the coords about 30 feet before and to the right of caches....this really helps...you just have to get your mo-jo working....find a pattern that is consistant.

Palm tree kids

I was going to offer to go with you on a hunt or two, as I am also in Michigan, but I see that you are in Marquette, about a 450 mile drive from Pontiac, Mi.

I will agree with Ohgrl in regards to the Michigan geocaching organization. A great group of people, withmembers all over the state.

Good luck

Jim

kc8bdr