Need A New "portable" Auto Unit.

I have a 60cs that I'm using for everting at the moment but life has changed and I'm gonna need a unit with more memory for maps. Since I have the 60cs for all things outdoor I'm looking to get a larger auto only unit with lots of memory and is portable so I can move it from vehicle to vehicle. I'll be driven allot in NYC so if there is a unit that preforms better in the land of tall buildings let me know. I'd like to stick with Garmin and keep the cost to $1000 or less. Can you suggest a model?

Why not look at a Garmin C330? It would do everything that you want; it has an Sd card and comes with City Select. They're going for $450~$500 on eBay. As for "concrete canyon" help, it has an MCX connector for an amplified external antenna; I've used one of these on my 60c in downtown Chicago and it really helps. If I was in the market for a car only unit, I think it would be this one.

Tom

Edited by BilgeRat

I think the Garmin Quest is selling for less than $300 these days. The new Quest 2 looks really nice. Its preloaded with City Select for North America and has an additional 140 megs for storage if you want to load MS Topo, Bluechart, etc...

The Quest is portable enough that some people use it as a handheld for geocaching.

I think the Garmin Quest is selling for less than $300 these days. The new Quest 2 looks really nice. Its preloaded with City Select for North America and has an additional 140 megs for storage if you want to load MS Topo, Bluechart, etc...

The Quest is portable enough that some people use it as a handheld for geocaching.

I just looked at the quest and the quest 2. Can the City Select be "upgraded whenever a newer version is released? Also, I believe I see you post from time to time over on Pnet. There is a cool hydro cache over at Merrill Creek that is fun to paddle to. Here it is.

Thanks for the info.

Les

The Quest is  portable enough that some people use it as a handheld for geocaching.

I just looked at the quest and the quest 2. Can the City Select be "upgraded whenever a newer version is released? Also, I believe I see you post from time to time over on Pnet. There is a cool hydro cache over at Merrill Creek that is fun to paddle to. Here it is.

Thanks for the info.

Les

No it can't be upgraded (for free).

Thanks for the heads up on the hydro cache.

Check out http://gpsinformation.net/ as a tremendous resource for in-depth reviews of the units.

Something to also consider is a link on that site to a review of a slew of units, side by side, where you can compare the quality of the displays, both in daylight and at night. A direct link is http://gpsinformation.us/joe/gpscompare/gp...eencompare.html

I'd stay with Garmin too as I have a lot of accessories that are useful for mixing/matching, at least with the units I have.

I ended up getting the Garmin 2720. The only thing I dont like about it is the fact that it comes preloaded with the software. The sales guy at getfeetwet.com says that you can upgrade the maps when a new version becomes available. I forgot to ask him if it comes with the software so I can make waypoints while on my PC then transfer them to the unit. Do any of you know this? I'd like to have city navigator on my pc as well.

I ended up getting the Garmin 2720. The only thing I dont like about it is the fact that it comes preloaded with the software. The sales guy at getfeetwet.com says that you can upgrade the maps when a new version becomes available. I forgot to ask him if it comes with the software so I can make waypoints while on my PC then transfer them to the unit. Do any of you know this? I'd like to have city navigator on my pc as well.

Our 2620 came preloaded and the software wasn't with it. We already had City Select for our two 60C's. We use that on our PC to transfer the waypoints to the 2620.