C'ishumu Gear

pointsaljim

Hey everybody who is going on July 30 to C'ISHUMU:

I volunteered to bring a rope. Should I get climbing rope that is rated for a fall and is way expensive and long(50 meters), or should I get static rope that is not rated for a fall and is inexpensive and I can get a short lenght of it :) ?

First off let me say I couldn't find the cache you are going for so this is really general information.

1st. If the cache is a true climbing cache and you aren't trained enough to know wether to bring a static or dynamic rope...Dont go.

If it isn't a true climb and you are just using the rope for extra safety get the dynamic rope. Not only will a static rope sustain internal damage if it catches a fall it can cause injuries of the person it catches. A dynamic rope is designed to stretch a little bit and absorb the strain of a fall.

Also a fall of as little as three feet can seriously comprimise a rope.

Also you should know that the knot is the weakest part of the rope. Many knots that are tied by most people can reduce the load bearing strenght by 100 percent or more. Even a properly tied figure 8 knot reduces the breaking strenght by 20%.

Also make sure no one stands on the rope. Dirt ground into the woven covering can quickly cut a rope and reduce it's strenght.

All that being said if you give the GC number of the cache I can look at it more closely and let you know what I would take with me.

I just found the cache.

From what I see in the description you are only using the rope as an assist for some boulders.

For that I would consider bringing 40 feet of webbing instead. Here is why. Webbing will wrap around trees and such without harming them to create an assist rope. A simple doubling of the webbing with the the standing end of the webbing passing through the bend(loop) will create a very strong "rope" with near 100% strength (no knots)

Also if desired you can tie a simple overhand knot in the webbing to create loops to use as hand holds. If you use webbing know that you should always have the knots lie flat with out twisting. You can usually by webbing by the foot in any good sporting goods store.

I perfer rated line when I fall over the Wal-Mart rope. Same goes for protection because I also don't like doing a zipper. Luckily, I'm not going and was unable to research what C'ISHUMU is. A link would be interesting to see what you Poison Oak Cachers are up to over there. :) Maybe I'll be available. :)

A zipper, haven't heard that term in a long time.

The "climbs" they will be doing are 20 foot boulders from what I could tell from the cache listing, prior logs and photos. Mostly just for an assist for those who can't find good holds. That is why I suggested webbing instead of rope.

A zipper, haven't heard that term in a long time.

The "climbs" they will be doing are 20 foot boulders from what I could tell from the cache listing, prior logs and photos. Mostly just for an assist for those who can't find good holds. That is why I suggested webbing instead of rope.

Yep. The old farmer learned that while working in Yosemite. Also learned about 'screamers', 'pumkin heads' and 'Bear Food'. :) [gag] :):) That was many years ago.

So... Bouldering sounds fun. I've been wanting to stop in to the indoor walls in Livermore (Sunrise Mountaineering). What's the waypoint and kind of rope did you say you're bringing? :)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...a9-547bae11d668

is the cache.

I thought for a one time use webbing would work well for assist. You might have used that to make a harness. I remember making swiss seat harness. Now that I have used a Black Diamond I can't even stand the thought of putting some flat web between my legs.

I have a friend who still ties a ASRC harness.

http://www.student.virginia.edu/~brmrg/knots/seat.html

All this new fangled stuff.

Give me a Swiss Seat and 1000' ft of Gold-line and Im happy. (yes I know lots of new ropes since then, but for the Rockies Goldline worked great back in the day)

Ah, someone who remembers the 'good old days' of soft and hard lay, braided and even green goldline! It was so much better than that manila stuff. Yep, we would just grab our prusik knots and our trusty carbide lamp and be on our way. These younger SRT kids are just spoiled rotten with all this new fangled stuff!

Too bad my body hasn't improved with age like the equipment has. I'd be doing allot more caches like this one. Be safe guys.

All this new fangled stuff.

Give me a Swiss Seat and 1000' ft of Gold-line and Im happy. (yes I know lots of new ropes since then, but for the Rockies Goldline worked great back in the day)

Ah, someone who remembers the 'good old days' of soft and hard lay, braided and even green goldline! It was so much better than that manila stuff. Yep, we would just grab our prusik knots and our trusty carbide lamp and be on our way. These younger SRT kids are just spoiled rotten with all this new fangled stuff!

Too bad my body hasn't improved with age like the equipment has. I'd be doing allot more caches like this one. Be safe guys.

And dont forget the Jumar's. I agree on the body not keeping up with the technology. But darn it we had fun at the time!

(yes I was a teckno weinie that had a set of Jumars instead of the prusik knot)

Edited by LaPaglia